Isolation point for appliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi fellas

I'm a heating engineer, just installed a new cylinder and controls in a basement, boiler is upstairs in the kitchen

My spark put the fused spur in the basement which would be normal in this example

Another spark has put us there to test and upgrade electrics, he is saying I need spur next to appliance

Can I put a label on the boiler stating isolation in basement ? Is it a reg?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you fit a DP isolation switch to the boiler supply?

IE, the cable from the spur in the cellar which feeds the boiler.. and label it something like supplied via fused spur adjacent to XXX in cellar.

There is no actual electrical regulation requiring local isolation as such.

However, where it is provided for maintenance, there should be only one device for the system and, where remote as in your case, it shall be capable of being locked to prevent inadvertent re-energising.

In your case, wherever you have one it will not satisfy the conditions for working at the other location.

You could fit the extra switch as wanted and label "not for isolation purposes".

They can always use the CU to isolate and lock the whole circuit.

The spark has said he would be happy if I put a double pole switch interrupting the boiler supply, I don't like the idea of two isolation points, someone could get hurt.

The boiler circuit is also on its own circuit from the consumer unit

Sponsored Links
The spark has said he would be happy if I put a double pole switch interrupting the boiler supply, I don't like the idea of two isolation points, someone could get hurt.
If they are in series, how does that increase the chances of someone getting hurt?

The boiler circuit is also on its own circuit from the consumer unit
So you've already got two isolation points - the MCB and the FCU.

My spark put the fused spur in the basement which would be normal in this example
Why was the FCU even installed in the first place?

What's the rating of the MCB for that circuit?

There was a spare space on the board, there was also a ring required in the basement as some other parts of the heating system needed their own fused spurs or sockets, it was deemed a good idea to put all the heating on its own circuit

The problem I foresee as an engineer is if I went to a breakdown I would see the spur at the boiler, turn it off and expect all of the controls to be isolated as well, this wouldn't be the case.

The spark thought it was a good idea to isolate all of the appliances and it was easy to do and the space, maybe over kill but it's done now

Fused spur for heating controls

Unswitched socket for accumulator pump

Fused spur for D2 discharge pump

Because if they are, how are they to be installed in countries where there is no such thing as fused connection units?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back