Isolation switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving my CU to a new location and require the electricity board to re-route there cable but i was wondering has anyone fitted a isolation (trip) switch from there meter tails to the incoming 100A switch within the CU? essentially the switch would be next to the CU, i think its good for maintenance purposes or maybe work on the CU in the future.
can anyone please direct be to where best to buy one?
also how do i know what system i have ie. TN-etc.?
i just require to know as i want to fit a metal CU and i know this is not allowed on all TN- systems

thanks

Sponsored Links
Given what you know (or more accurately what you think you know), and what you don't know, I would strongly advise you to get someone competent to move your CU.

so no ideas for a type of isolation switch that i could use. i used to be a sparkie, but have been out of the domestic side for a while this is why i am just trying to see what isolation switches that domestic sparkies use between the meter and the CU?

Sponsored Links
Afaict the norm is to use the same type of isolating switch as in a consumer unit in a small enclosure. You can either use a generic 2 module enclosure and drill holes for the tails yourself or I belive some manufacturers do enclosures specifically designed for this purpose.

IIRC MEM even do an enclosure with a two part cover so you can access the output terminals without exposing the input termainls.

Does anybody know where to get that MEM switch and enclosure - I'm looking at replacing my CU (sorting out notifying LABC etc at the moment), and want to mount an isolator and then get electricity board out to move the supply to it, and while I could just get a mini CU with just a main switch, that MEM one is nice and compact, and would be perfect.

I've tried all my usual sources, but nowhere seems to have them?

Rebuke - have you got as far as getting a quote from your supplier for the move?

You might want to do that before making too many plans based on the assumption that you will be having it moved..

Are you talking about moving the supply head and meter, or just the meter tails going to your CU?

For me (I'm not the OP) it's just connecting new meter tails to a new isolator - supply head is fine where it is. I haven't got a quote yet, but if it does turn out to be a lot, then I know an electrician who'd probably he happy to do the live bit of moving the tails to the new CU or isolator for me if the leccy board won't...

1) They won't do the work, as they are your side of the meter, and all that needs doing is for them to be taken out of your CU and put into the isolator. They will come and remove the fuse to allow the tails to be worked on and then replace and reseal it later.

2) How far away will the CU be when moved? There are limits on how far you may run ordinary tails.

3) Don't have anything to do with an electrician prepared to work on live tails - if he'd do one stupid and unlawful thing who knows what else he might do?

CU will be in exactly the same place as the old one (approx 30cm from the service head) so there won't be any problems there (I'm just replacing it as it isn't big enough (I want to add 2 circuits))...

I'm going to give the supplier a ring on Monday anyway and see what they can do - I'm quite happy to move the tails etc if they can pull the fuse and then reseal it (yes I'm going to notify the LABC before I start any work etc etc...)

haven't got my MEM catalogue here, sorry.

You might be able to find in on www.memonline.com but it is quite a difficult website.

If you download the price list it will be in there (somewhere)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back