Isolation Swtich

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to have the electricity meter moved and in the process I'm going to upgrade the existing re-wireable fuse box for a new consumer unit. To make my life simpler (and safer) I would like to fit an isolation switch between the meter and the consumer unit so that I can completely disconnect the house if and when I need to.

Normally the electricity supplier moving the meter would fit an isolation switch but, as it is a three phase supply, it is not their policy to do so and it is up to me to fit the switch. I'm happy enough to fit and connect it I just need some advice as to exactly what switch I should buy.

The existing system has a huge 4P 100A lever type switch but I was hoping that I could use something a little smaller (and cheaper) than that. I've found this Wylex REC4 http://www.electrika.com/products/itemdetail.asp?MANU=0150&C=AAN&D=AAC&E=AAD which to my untrained eye looks like just the job. The alternative seems to be a MEM Exel Switchfuse or similar but they are seriously expensive and I don't need the fuse portion of the box.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
The companies that make 3-phase Distribution Boards make 4-pole isolators to fit, they will generally fit DIN-rails in a small enclosure.

Industrial ranges like Memshield are generally very good quality.

However if you have to ask this I wonder if your knowledge and qualifications are adequate for you to be doing the work. 3ph is more dangerous and there are extra things you need to know (I have done very little of it)

edited
I see it is in England and a domestic installation, you should be aware of the legality of this work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

My knowledge of electrical work goes as far as standard domestic installations which is why, apart from this isolation switch, everything in the property will be single phase. I'm part p qualified and have cleared the install with the council already.

My plan (and I would appreciate feedback) is to wire the house on one phase and a workshop on a second phase with separate consumer units. Additionally there will be a large range type oven in the kitchen which will require a three phase supply, this will be connected by a fully qualified electrician.

I asked the electricty company if this would be acceptible and they said it was fine.

I know enough about three phase to realize it is substantially more dangerous than single phase. As I understand it if the loading on the three phases is unbalenced you can get potential on the neutral hence my desire for complete isolation.

The property currently has three phase through out (it was a bedsit) and there are areas where there are different phases in close proximity so things will certainly be safer than they currently are. I'm pretty sure there is even some lead sheathed wire in use!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back