Isolation valve problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to turn off an isolation valve. By the looks of it's a full bore and it's very difficult to turn. I've already partially mashed up the slot that you turn with the biggest screwdriver I have. Could anyone give any hints as to what gauge screwdriver to get for these giants slots or what tool they use?

Sponsored Links
If the slot is mullered and the valve possibly seized or very tight, I would be looking to replace. When they start seizing and causing the screwdriver to slip and damage the slot, you're fighting a losing battle. Only a screwdriver will turn these, as there's not much to grip onto with other tools.

What is the valve feeding?

As WS suggests, you are better off replacing it because even if you do manage to turn it off, chances are you won't be able to turn it on again.

Is there a recess for an allen key in the centre of the slot?

"Ballofix" valves should be turned with an allen key rather than a screwdriver

Sponsored Links
No allen key, just the slot. I have a new one, slot is just as massive. It's very difficult to turn, even with my biggest screwdriver. I may need to get a chiseldriver or something. Already slighty shagged the new slot.

Full-bore Isolation valve

I usually use a very large screwdriver to turn these. By the looks of the slot you've tried a screwdriver that is too small. The screwdriver should fit tightly in the slot.

Go for the biggest screwdriver that will fit the slot, and you can try to turn the thing either way. If you replace it, do go for a full bore one.
John :)

The full bore valves are usually really tight to turn, every one I've fitted has been the same.
As everyone has said, needs to the biggest screwdriver with no play and the largest handle for leverage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back