unseizing a valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

I have one of these valces fitted under my bath:-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/22mm-full-bore-isolating-valve/43961

It has been in place for around 3 years and is seized. When I try to turn it with a screwdriver the valve turns around 1/8 turn and then won't turn any more except to the open position. Trying to turn it more than 1/8 turn results in the screwdriver jumping out of the slot.

I would appreciate guidance on how best to unseize it.

I have some light oil, WD40 and spraygrease around the house.

Cheers

Paul

Sponsored Links
You can try turning the thing in the opposite direction, but there's a reasonable chance of it leaking......you won't get a flood, but be prepared to replace it!
John :)

what are your thoughts on leaving some lube on it for a week or two burnerman

Sponsored Links
These valves have a ball closing system, and yours is probably bunged up with lime scale .....the ball normally seats on a plastic seat (!) and WD or whatever has a bit of a job getting in.
My idea may work, but Andy has it sussed really.
John :)

If you rock it back and forward into the jammed position it MAY slowly move further and further.

I always tell people that all valves and stopcocks should be moved through their full travel every two months!

Nobody does it.

Tony

No one (not even me) is going to dismantle a bath panel to move a valve every two months - not even a "quality one" like the OP's! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back