Isolator on Ring circuit

Sponsored Links
If we're talking about "what the regulation actually says" (or does not say), as BAS often used to point out, the regulation does not say that "only accessories to BS 1363 may be supplied by a 30/32A ring circuit using 2.5mm² cabling".

Apart from anything else, as EFLI has said, that interpretation would mean that, for example, the 20A grid (or plate) switches commonly connected to kitchen rings would be non-compliant.

Kind Regards, John
Them switches then go on to feed Bs1363 accesories, I believe, as the reg is in the section about overload current, that what there saying is other stuff connected to a 32a Ring, MAY need larger conducters than 2.5mm, whereas with Bs1363 appliances its assumed 20 amp load therefore a minimum of 2.5mm can be used.

Them switches then go on to feed Bs1363 accesories, I believe, as the reg is in the section about overload current, that what there saying is other stuff connected to a 32a Ring, MAY need larger conducters than 2.5mm, whereas with Bs1363 appliances its assumed 20 amp load therefore a minimum of 2.5mm can be used.
I'm not at all sure that is how 'they' think/thought about it (if they thought very much at all!).

As you say, it's in the section about overload current. I think that all it's really saying in that, because its a ring (with the load hopefully reasonably distributed around it), it is permissible to have a cable with a CCC as low as 20A (at least 2.5mm² T+E or 1.5mm² MICC) protected by a 32A OPD - which otherwise would not be allowed by that section of the regs.

The reg allows a double socket to be installed on the ring with another double socket taken from it as an unfused spur. In theory, that means that there could be a load of 52A (some would say 40A) applied at that 'one point' on the ring, despite the fact that only BS1363 accessories are involved - and, of course, one could have 10 or 20 (BS1363) double sockets installed on the ring (which could multiply up to a theoretical 260A or 520A :) ). I therefore don't think that restricting a ring to BS1363 accessories does anything to limit the potential overload of the cables.

Kind Regards, John

I have always assumed that the minimum of 2.5mm² T&E is because the regulation (still) includes a BS3036 fuse being the OPD. This in itself is somewhat poor way of writing a regulation. Were this not the case then 1.5mm² T&E (method C, of course) would meet the requirement for the 20A CCC.

If that is the case, then a ring with a 32A MCB as the OPD could be adequately wired in 1.5mm². If so, there would be no need for a minimum of 2.5mm² therefore thinking there are other reasons for it in other places such as spurs might be mistaken.

Sponsored Links
I have always assumed that the minimum of 2.5mm² T&E is because the regulation (still) includes a BS3036 fuse being the OPD. This in itself is somewhat poor way of writing a regulation. Were this not the case then 1.5mm² T&E (method C, of course) would meet the requirement for the 20A CCC.
Agreed. I presume that when the reg was written (and hasn't changed all that much since), fuses were the norm. Somewhere along the line it really should have been updated to make a distinction between MCBs and BS3036s - in which case, as you say, 1.5mm² (Method C) 32A ring finals ought to be allowed when the OPD is an MCB.

Having said that, people seem to be (seemingly irrationally) 'nervous' about 1.5mm² (maybe wanting the comfort of an additional 'safety margin') - since I don't recall having heard much, if anything, about 1.5mm² (Method C) 20A radials - which should be fully 'compliant'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back