Issue with my Bona Sander - week end, renting company closed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Any advice on the following greatly welcome. The company i got my belt sander from is now shut and i just have the week end to work with it!

My sander model is this one http://www.floorsanderhire.com/sanders-details-contin-belt-sander.php .

After doing one room without any issue, the following are happening:
* the filter bag (which i tried to empty) doesn't blow up with air
* the drum is not quite parallel to the floor
* when i lower the drum on the floor, it works for a very short while (a foot or two) and then stops running until i lift it again
* for that short while, i am only getting one part of the width sanded

My floor is even which should make things easy (or easier anyways).

Any advice on what setting may have gone funny since i did the first room?

Thanks,
Guillaume

Sponsored Links
Hi
Sounds like you have number of problems there.
I will try to answer your questions but would advise against taking the machine apart to try and solve the issues. These are powerful electrical machines, don't do anything that could be dangerous.
I will also base my answers on my machine which is a Bona Belt, but I don't believe there is a huge difference apart from a tensioning system.

About the motor slowing and dust bag not inflating.
From the motor are 2 drive belts. One goes to the back of the machine to the impeller which creates the suction to inflate the dust bag, the other to the front. With the drive belts removed does the impeller rotate smoothly? Secondly with the drive belts on are they tensioned correctly? if not they will slip when load is applied. The play on the belt should be no more than 1-2 times the thickness of the belt.
Other thoughts are, is the power supply good enough, more places than you would think have difficulty supplying the power required for a sander.
Finally you are letting the machine get up to speed, this will take around 10 seconds and normally comes with a click and a sudden burst of extra rpm.

Drum
The drum should not be exactly parallel to the floor. By having one end just touching and the other 1-2mm deeper and then only passing 1/2 - 3/4 the width of the drum with each pass you feather in the edge of the sander. If the drum was completely flat you would end up with impossible to remove lines on the floor. My machine is set up to work from the left to the right. which I believe is Bona standard.

Part width sanding
Not sure, but when you do the first pass or 2 it is amazing how un-even most floors are.

Regards

TT

Sponsored Links
Hi
Sounds like you have number of problems there.
I will try to answer your questions but would advise against taking the machine apart to try and solve the issues. These are powerful electrical machines, don't do anything that could be dangerous.
I will also base my answers on my machine which is a Bona Belt, but I don't believe there is a huge difference apart from a tensioning system.

About the motor slowing and dust bag not inflating.
From the motor are 2 drive belts. One goes to the back of the machine to the impeller which creates the suction to inflate the dust bag, the other to the front. With the drive belts removed does the impeller rotate smoothly? Secondly with the drive belts on are they tensioned correctly? if not they will slip when load is applied. The play on the belt should be no more than 1-2 times the thickness of the belt.
Other thoughts are, is the power supply good enough, more places than you would think have difficulty supplying the power required for a sander.
Finally you are letting the machine get up to speed, this will take around 10 seconds and normally comes with a click and a sudden burst of extra rpm.

Drum
The drum should not be exactly parallel to the floor. By having one end just touching and the other 1-2mm deeper and then only passing 1/2 - 3/4 the width of the drum with each pass you feather in the edge of the sander. If the drum was completely flat you would end up with impossible to remove lines on the floor. My machine is set up to work from the left to the right. which I believe is Bona standard.

Part width sanding
Not sure, but when you do the first pass or 2 it is amazing how un-even most floors are.

Regards

Hi ,

I see that you have some idea about Bona belt sander.

I've got problem with my machine , it does making a fan belt keep going damaged by pulley I believe? Simply the belt getting be thinner and thinner in one or two places during when machine is working and wearing proceeding very quickly till ic completely broken within short period , one room of sanding.

Any idea please?

Where I can get a belt tensioner for bona orebro?

Thank you in advance
TT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back