It all hinges on this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My hardwood back door is badly weathered, and I am planning to sand it down and treat it.

I want to do a thorough job, so was going to take the door off the hinges and sand it down on my workbench.

However, when I went to do so today I found that the hinges are of a type I'd never seen before.

Here is one:

http://www.myguff.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/hinge.jpg

What type of hinge is this, and how do I remove the door? Is it easily re-hung?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
They maybe screw in type hinge, can we have another photo of the hinge with the door opening.

looks similar to the continental type of hinge, which as masona says will screw in to the door, once the central hinge pin is unscrewed

Hot off the press:

http://www.myguff.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/hinge2.jpg

This is the view straight along the door sill (i.e. the camera is where the door would be if the door was closed).

As you can hopefully see, there are two arms going off to the left into the door frame, and one going into the door itself. There are three hinges altogether.

Thermo said:
looks similar to the continental type of hinge, which as masona says will screw in to the door, once the central hinge pin is unscrewed

Do you reckon the hinge pin will be screwed in as such, or just sitting there? The reason I ask is that unscrewing the top pin would be very tricky as it's quite close to the ceiling and so difficult to access. If the pin is just sitting there, I could probably knock it out by tapping it from the bottom.

P.S. Just had a go, and it's turning out to be a bit of a problem. It's very difficult to get access to unscrew the pin, and it doesn't come out by knocking it from below. Has anyone dealt with these kind of hinges?

please note 10a

Sponsored Links
You have to unscrew the top & bottom treaded bolt then slide the door out. The arms of the hinge are screwed into the side of the door and the frame which show the pivot of the hinge outside. They normally have a plug fastener inside the wood acting like a rawlbolt from the hinges. The idea of this is so you can removed the door for decorating. They are not very popular as it is difficult to fit accurately as the screw holes drilled into the door and the frame are not level with one another and they are normally pre-drill from the manufacter. I couldn't find a picture but similar as shown with another hinge on top.
h060.jpg

masona said:
...They are not very popular as it is difficult to fit accurately as the screw holes drilled into the door and the frame are not level with one another and they are normally pre-drill from the manufacter....

I think I'll sand in situ! I fear that if I take the door off, I'll never get it re-hung as well as it is now.

Thanks for all your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back