I've buried part of a water pipe under concrete - have I broken regs?

Flipping heck according to you I've broken the rules already

Not according to me, according to the water regs. I've quoted the regs and it seems pretty clear cut, not sure where any doubt would arise.

Sponsored Links
Not according to me, according to the water regs. I've quoted the regs and it seems pretty clear cut, not sure where any doubt would arise.
Do rules differ across regions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the rules different from each water authority or are they the same nationally?

Water regs cover England and Wales, water bylaws in Scotland. I doubt it would be picked up but technically the rules are the rules.

Water regs cover England and Wales, water bylaws in Scotland. I doubt it would be picked up but technically the rules are the rules.
I think I should be ok

Sponsored Links
I've done 5 of these and in all cases the water company checked everything - inside and outside. You appear to have no ducting, a join in the pipe (within the non existent ducting) and you have concreted over a section of the new pipe so they can't inspect it.

I would get your inspection arranged as soon as possible and see what they say.

Possibly a stupid question, but can you move the stopcock earlier so that the pipe under the kitchen is after it, so the water co won't give a fig?

Possibly a stupid question, but can you move the stopcock earlier so that the pipe under the kitchen is after it, so the water co won't give a fig?

Yes. That would be my plan B, up to stoptap in small wall cupboard and pipe from there to kitchen later via the mdpe.

I've done 5 of these and in all cases the water company checked everything - inside and outside. You appear to have no ducting, a join in the pipe (within the non existent ducting) and you have concreted over a section of the new pipe so they can't inspect it. I would get your inspection arranged as soon as possible and see what they say.
Thanks for your replies I appreciate your experience

Perhaps that would solve the problem(y)

Yes. That would be my plan B, up to stoptap in small wall cupboard and pipe from there to kitchen later via the mdpe.
It's put my mind at rest!

Brilliant! Thanks for taking an interest that's put my mind at rest!

But....the water regs cover the internal cold supplies as well so it still wouldn't comply. Again though, unlikely it would be picked up.

But....the water regs cover the internal cold supplies as well so it still wouldn't comply. Again though, unlikely it would be picked up.
Are you certain?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back