Jabs

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No need.
I took the decision to emigrate before Brexit was a twinkle in Farage's repertoire, in fact my first visits to France was pre-EU, pre-UK in EU, pre-Euro, etc.
I've never regretted it for a moment, and since Brexit, I've been even more glad that I left UK.
It's true that the market value of property here, in the sticks is much less than UK. I paid about 25% of the sale price of my UK house, for about 5 times the space here, and that's just the house, not including the hangar, the garage, the other buildings, nor the land.
I only check my postbox a couple of times a week, usually when I'm passing anyway because it's about a 50 metre walk from the house.
People in general are friendlier, less traffic, less tax, better weather, better health service. What's not to like.

I love France -I think rural France is like it used to be like here in the 70s in terms of community.

I know Brittany and Normandy quite well -but the weather is all too much like the UK

A mate of mine has a gite 30mins drive East of La Rochelle in the Charente region -he says it has a micro climate and is consistently sunny and warm through out the summer.

You should have some sympathy for the tw@ts who skulked off to France in a huff, to live in their dirty little barns with a market value approaching a third of what they paid for them, who couldn't afford to move back to this country even if they could sell them.

I have an image of Himmy, alone in his dusty, draughty garret - bashing away on his computer, railing at the world that marginalised him for being different. ;) :ROFLMAO:

773x435_cmsv2_204dee1a-f124-59f3-8ea6-f6172443927d-5354474.jpg

Don’t you miss your family and friends? (Taking a chance here - last time I asked it must have offended someone as my post was deleted and I lost all privileges to continue in that thread).
The ones in UK and other places, we'd normally visit them, they'd normally visit us, but we talk on phone, text, email, whatsapp, video calls, etc.
There's been no visiting those in other countries in the last twelve months due to Covid. But from my perspective the limited measures by various countries (not including Australasia) have been precious little, and in some cases too late.
We have plenty of friends here, but I discourage visiting under the current conditions, unless we meet up in the garden. Work (employed) for me is still not allowed, group music making is still not allowed. So for sure I miss that. Last summer I did go sailing a few times with friends, but I probably wouldn't again until the situation improves. Last summer the restrictions were quite lax, just masks in public places.

Our commune normally has a big dinner together once a year about this time, (about 50 of us) with much merriment, etc. We had it last year just before the pandemic began. This year it's off, possibly until later in the year.
All the usual annual local events were cancelled last year, and have been cancelled this year, so far. I don't know about the 6 and 10 K runs (June), the usual 6 and 10 K walks ( a couple of times each year), the walks in the local forest (frequently, including some night time walks), etc.
All the remembrance services, the French Resistance remembrance parade etc have been cancelled,

The ones in UK and other places, we'd normally visit them, they'd normally visit us, but we talk on phone, text, email, whatsapp, video calls, etc.
There's been no visiting those in other countries in the last twelve months due to Covid. But from my perspective the limited measures by various countries (not including Australasia) have been precious little, and in some cases too late.
We have plenty of friends here, but I discourage visiting under the current conditions, unless we meet up in the garden. Work (employed) for me is still not allowed, group music making is still not allowed. So for sure I miss that. Last summer I did go sailing a few times with friends, but I probably wouldn't again until the situation improves. Last summer the restrictions were quite lax, just masks in public places.

Our commune normally has a big dinner together once a year about this time, (about 50 of us) with much merriment, etc. We had it last year just before the pandemic began. This year it's off, possibly until later in the year.
All the usual annual local events were cancelled last year, and have been cancelled this year, so far. I don't know about the 6 and 10 K runs (June), the usual 6 and 10 K walks ( a couple of times each year), the walks in the local forest (frequently, including some night time walks), etc.
All the remembrance services, the French Resistance remembrance parade etc have been cancelled,
Apart from odd occasions such as Christmas and birthdays, we haven’t met up properly with our children and grandchildren since last March and even then it’s been a socially distanced doorstep or garden meet-up. We often walk with our dogs as a group of up to ten every Sunday and several times in the week and we always go away with the same group over the new year. Again, we’ve only been walking in line with allowances which is two at a time. Zoom, WhatsApp and facetime are no substitutions for a hug. We are really missing our family friends and that’s in our own country. At least you seem to be managing. (y) Hopefully we may coming out of it this summer!

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

About 25 grands worth then, if you could sell it.
Hardly, I sold a 4 bed detached, end of cul de sac, bordering a canal, with parking for about 4 cars in UK when I retired and came to France. Granted it was over 15 years ago, so it might now be worth twice what I sold it for. It tripled in value while I was there. It was the highest price in the close, at that time.
When I sold that house, I bought a pied-à-terre in UK, and this place in France.
The pied-à-terre in UK has now been sold. (Improvements finished and doubled in value)

Certainly there's lots of work still to do here. There's still one building that I haven't started on. In fact I still haven't been up on the first floor in that building (I don't trust the floorboards). But that was part of the point of moving here, a project in my retirement.
I've never looked back.

Hardly, I sold a 4 bed detached, end of cul de sac, bordering a canal, with parking for about 4 cars in UK when I retired and came to France. Granted it was over 15 years ago, so it might now be worth twice what I sold it for. It tripled in value while I was there. It was the highest price in the close, at that time.
When I sold that house, I bought a pied-à-terre in UK, and this place in France.
The pied-à-terre in UK has now been sold. (Improvements finished and doubled in value)

Certainly there's lots of work still to do here. There's still one building that I haven't started on. In fact I still haven't been up on the first floor in that building (I don't trust the floorboards). But that was part of the point of moving here, a project in my retirement.
I've never looked back.

Mon dieu! Cul de sac and pied-à-terre? My God, do you mean banjo and flat? :LOL:

I love France -I think rural France is like it used to be like here in the 70s in terms of community.

I know Brittany and Normandy quite well -but the weather is all too much like the UK

A mate of mine has a gite 30mins drive East of La Rochelle in the Charente region -he says it has a micro climate and is consistently sunny and warm through out the summer.
There are many beautiful parts of France. And still some remote parts as well.
When I first stared coming to France there were precious few main roads. Even the long journeys were through little villages every so often. Occasionally you'd encounter a bullock and cart!
And the roundabouts! People entering them with the right of way!

Sponsored Links
Back