Jacuzzi/jetted bathtub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stumbled across a jacuzzi/jetted bathtub that is currently connected through a 25A RCD unit as pictured. I have measured the power consumption of the pump and it is 500W with 0.75mm flex. They told me that the RCD unit came with the jacuzzi but I'm adamant that 25A would be too high for this to trip in the event of a fault and it should be a 3A FCU? Also we were going to install IP65 spotlights in the bath panel so I was going to install a new piece of twin and Earth to a 1 gang socket first as the bath panel cannot be removed without a screwdriver.
Cheers.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid it may be worse than you think.

The 25A relates to the maximum current the RCD can carry; it is not an overload nor short circuit protection.
An RCD only protects against earth leakage and faults to earth.

There almost certainly should be 3A protection somewhere. Are you sure there isn't?
It could be a single circuit from the CU with a 6A MCB which may be alright unless the manufacturer states otherwise (3A).

Also, the cable connection to the RCD is very poor.

How are you going to switch the light?

Yes I have checked and the supply actually comes from a junction box on the kitchen ring so it is on a 32A MCB. The knockouts on the RCD unit haven't been used hence why the cores have just been squeezed in. o_O

Sponsored Links
I was going to screw it to the wall underneath the bath

How will the householder reset it if it trips? And is it suitable for installation in a bathroom?

Yes I have checked and the supply actually comes from a junction box on the kitchen ring so it is on a 32A MCB. The knockouts on the RCD unit haven't been used hence why the cores have just been squeezed in. o_O

If this is accessible are you able to put the RCD here instead of it's current place floating in the air being only supported by the cable terminating into it. Then put a maintenance free box somewhere suitable under the bath

Yes I did think of putting the RCD unit in the place of the junction box but this would mean it would be under the floorboards which I thought would make it more inaccessible than being able to unscrew the bath panel.
Thanks.

Yes I did think of putting the RCD unit in the place of the junction box but this would mean it would be under the floorboards which I thought would make it more inaccessible than being able to unscrew the bath panel.
Thanks.

Are you an electrician? If not, get somebody who knows what they are doing and leave well alone. If you are......

Thanks.

Are you an electrician? If not, get somebody who knows what they are doing and leave well alone. If you are......

Not as of yet, no. Just thought this would be something I could tackle myself. I am aware that all this work is notifiable which is what I will then do.

A 13A socket also needs to be fitted due to bath panel spotlights being installed which has a plug-in transformer.

I thought this work would be easy because it cannot be removed without a screwdriver, therefore the space has no zone.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back