Japans answer to flooding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dont know if any of you have seen this clip off youtube,its how japan has resolved its flooding problems and water storage.....seeing as we are being told flooding will happen more often followed by droughts we do need to go down this route but then again it would dent the water companys profits so I doubt it would happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1VIepfMLbA

Sponsored Links
No it wouldn't harm their profits. The government would pay for it to be constructed but they would still add a bit more to our bills for maintaining and servicing and flood adminstration :cry:
If I recall there is a similiar although smaller project in Holland (or could be Denmark I can't quite remember) that was featured on a tv programme recently.

No it wouldn't harm their profits. The government would pay for it to be constructed but they would still add a bit more to our bills for maintaining and servicing and flood adminstration :cry:
If I recall there is a similiar although smaller project in Holland (or could be Denmark I can't quite remember) that was featured on a tv programme recently.

I would think a large chunk would come from the tax payers but the water companys would have to put their hand in their pockets, they charge not only for water provsion but also for water drainage and as we have seen the last couple of years we have been overwhelmed...also another contributer could be a levy on the insurace companys as the claims are running into millions and future claims would be less!!

Sponsored Links
The government will pay for it, should that read the taxpayer will pay for it?

Very true Libby. We're already paying for rich folk to have solar panels on their roofs and wind turbines in their back yards. Surely it's our duty to pay for the ability of water companies to store water, so they can then sell it back to us later on. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

]

I would think a large chunk would come from the tax payers but the water companys would have to put their hand in their pockets, they charge not only for water provision but also for water drainage and as we have seen the last couple of years we have been overwhelmed.

I reckon the largest chunk would come from the taxpayer. (water companies have their profits to make)

..also another contributer could be a levy on the insurace companys as the claims are running into millions and future claims would be less!!
The insurance companies too have their profits to make, therefore the burden of any levy on them would be passed on to the insurance premiums of their customers.. ;) ;)

And, in a flood, where DO you pump 9 billion cubic feet of water anyway? The next village?

No, there could be at least six of them placed strategically around the country and linked to each other ,massive engineering project i know but with the govermant wanting to spend money on kickstarting the economy while building a infrastructure I would prefer to it being spent on this rather than HS2 which for the cost and time saving on journeys is a waste of money in my eyes

Driving regularly down the M5 around Tewkesbury over the years I often wondered why they didn't compulsory purchase several fields and dig a bloody great hole with suitable gulley's to the Severn as a suitable run off/ reservoir. This would help to prevent the regular flooding the area has and store the water for the droughts..

Seems obvious to put reservoirs in various flood area's around the country but heyho what do I know?

Seems obvious to put reservoirs in various flood area's around the country but heyho what do I know?

and then move it around using windmills Dutch style rather than using the windmills (or turbines if you want to be pedantic) to generate electric to power pumps.
Simple

Driving regularly down the M5 around Tewkesbury over the years I often wondered why they didn't compulsory purchase several fields and dig a bloody great hole with suitable gulley's to the Severn as a suitable run off/ reservoir. This would help to prevent the regular flooding the area has and store the water for the droughts..

I think that is a ridiculas suggestion, Ha! if it were that simple the brains in our government and water board would have thought of that yonks ago.

As a matter of interest what were they digging those big holes for next to the M50 that are now filled with muddy brown water??

Sponsored Links
Back