jet washing roofs good or bad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just bought a roof cleaning machine and hope to offer a quality product for my future customers has any one had good or bad experiences or had any downfalls with this service or advise me on any pitfalls thanks steve :idea: :idea:

Sponsored Links
just do bungalows ...not so far to fall...and the owners like their roofs cleaned ;) -and their patios

just do bungalows ...not so far to fall...and the owners like their roofs cleaned ;) -and their patios
this makes sense ive done 2 bungalows first week whilst weather prevents work i need to form a stratergy i appreciate this steve

Sponsored Links
Jet Washing roof's now. Whatever next??? Give your eaves a quick sweep? FFS

a house opposite had their 2nd story roof done. roof was chockker with moss thick as yer head. took about 3 days to do about 30mts squared off a roof ladder. looks loads better now. the house next door ( semi) didnt join in so still has a full head of hair. improved the look of the house ten fold.
it looked like just a power washer was used whats your machne homecheck? what you charging and do you have insurances ( puplic liability, health, personal injury etc?

mine is industrial 3000psi 15 litres /min which is used in conjunction with a 250litre bowser as it requires more than mains pressure i have researched moss removal and have found the best ways to remain moss free i charge £3/m2 for roofs usually £250 for full roof i have a 3 jet lance which is like cleaning with a 12" roller were trying methods that speed this up yet remains safe hoping to blow away any opposition.in speed and quality thanks we have £2m insurance and a good safety record always trying to improve in safety and remain competitive all ideas taken on board thanks steve
a house opposite had their 2nd story roof done. roof was chockker with moss thick as yer head. took about 3 days to do about 30mts squared off a roof ladder. looks loads better now. the house next door ( semi) didnt join in so still has a full head of hair. improved the look of the house ten fold.
it looked like just a power washer was used whats your machne homecheck? what you charging and do you have insurances ( puplic liability, health, personal injury etc?

The trend for cleaning roofs is now very common, YET few companies add a long term answer as cleaning alone takes the surface off the roof tiles. (Concrete) adding a moss killer (industrial not DIY store), is still only going to prevent moss coming back within 18mths -2yrs. Roof-coaters have been around for a few years adding a coloured acylic that can be expensive (depending who does it) £3-5 mtr is about right for cleaning only, but add a dozen new tiles re-point the ridges, treat with a good moss preventer and £5.00mtr: is nearer the mark. (Most people in this trade can not measure a roof properly and guess work is normal). Coating put price up to £18-30 mtr depending who you get to do it and price does not dictate the quality of work. This at least will seal the tile and stop re-rooting on moss spores.
And yes I know what I am talking about as I have been in roof renovation for 22 years.

thanks for your response
im pleased to see you have commitment to your trade as do i.I to have been repairing roofs for 22years and have gained a good knowledge and understandings of roof condition, i find that roof coating forms an external vapour barrier putting the sweat on the exterior where it should be .jet washing alone can remove surface resistance of concrete tiles but providing a much better appearance. roofs are the most important protection to any home from the weather and for this reason its a suprise people care so little
now roofs are in the forefront in the end of tile life spans after the mass building after ww2.this trade will explode when people see the benefits .they will see that when spend more on making interiors look pretty they are creating a shorter life span through mould and dew,condensation and very costly repairs in the future. Its like having not looked after your head when you present yourself so when you come to sell it you just pray people don't notice or look up and inquire what lies beneath this moss as surveyors wont get up there so they use the words "appears to be "which covers there arse when the roof fails after you've purchased £150k plus . im sure if insurance companies looked into this they would love to increase there risk premiums or retain massive retentions to buyers with mortgages. This trade could create a great deal of work to our economy as it is neglected.i have noticed that copper repells moss permanatly. if this was introduced into tiles it would end this problem period maybe this could be mixed with a water sealant and coated to existing surfaces or copper wire fixed to the ridges and hips what a package hey ! if only i could market this may be the people of our trade who risk every thing to serve the public will prosper to create a safe prosperous career. steve
The trend for cleaning roofs is now very common, YET few companies add a long term answer as cleaning alone takes the surface off the roof tiles. (Concrete) adding a moss killer (industrial not DIY store), is still only going to prevent moss coming back within 18mths -2yrs. Roof-coaters have been around for a few years adding a coloured acylic that can be expensive (depending who does it) £3-5 mtr is about right for cleaning only, but add a dozen new tiles re-point the ridges, treat with a good moss preventer and £5.00mtr: is nearer the mark. (Most people in this trade can not measure a roof properly and guess work is normal). Coating put price up to £18-30 mtr depending who you get to do it and price does not dictate the quality of work. This at least will seal the tile and stop re-rooting on moss spores.
And yes I know what I am talking about as I have been in roof renovation for 22 years.

The copper used for these add on ridge pieces will help keep moss away IF you get plenty of rain on a regular basis. They will not however get rid of a good blanket of moss more than a few tiles down from the top. The suppliers even starte this in there bumph ! Cleaning and treating and a sealant then a copper ridge then you are talkng big money. Remember folks even a brand new roof will get moss sporse on it and start to deteriorate from day one. A local etstate (counci) has had a program ofre roofing over 200 houses over the last 2 years, the re-roof from 2006/7 look almost as bad as the old ones. :rolleyes:

Just be aware that some roof tiles will not take pressure washing and you may remove the weathering coat and colouring from them.

If you are to do this on a commercial scale, know your facts and have plenty of insurance

I am currently acting against a well known national "home improvements company" that have done just this. All they are offering to do is paint the tiles back to the original colour !!!!!

This is now going to court . All they had to do was reserach the tile or test one first, but oh no, the greed of money took precedent

Aquasheeeeee sorry almost. ??!! 8-(

The system they have IS a legitimate system which we have used for years. The issue is the methods, or lack of methods they use. Not cleaned properly, no proper anti-fungal treatment, not alowing cement to dry before one thick coat rather than two. They have 45-50% complaints for all jobs, and charge too much in most cases. they also advertise 20% saving on heating bills (Bullsh**), and as seen on TV (Yep Rogue Traders). Good luck with your case and keep us informed.

Re Tiles;
Most OLD concrete tiles (over 25 yrs) have the colour and top 1mm frosted off by the time we get up there. Moss and Lichen also eat away at the surface and cleaning and sealing DOES offer a selaed tiles that remains breathable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back