Jigsaw blade for laminate curve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

As stated in the subject line, I am going to cut a curve in laminated board. As agreed in a previous thread, I was planning on using a downcut blade suitable for laminate, however, I have just come across another type of blade and was wondering which one would be best for the job.

The one I just discovered neither has its teeth pointing in one direction or the other like how the teeth point upwards for a normal blade or downwards for a downcut blade. The teeth seem straight and the blade claims to be ideal for curve cutting in laminated board.

So, which one should I use?

And, would there be a problem using a jigsaw blade which has a greater depth of cut than the jigsaw's stated maximum depth of cut? If so, what difference would be acceptable?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
jigsaws normaly mention the stroke length but that bares no relation to the depth of cut as thats governed by the blade length

the blade you use depends on how tight the radius is

but in general if you go round say a 5" radius you wont have a problem with the back edge burning its way round

also if you use pendulum in one direction round an arc DO NOT try and join up from the opposit direction because youll finnish up with a step

Hi big-all.

'the blade you use depends on how tight the radius is '

One is 10cm and another is 11cm.

Thanks.

Traveller said:
Hi big-all.

'the blade you use depends on how tight the radius is '

One is 10cm and another is 11cm.

Thanks.

is it an exposed edge or a covered edge like a sink!!!!!

IF its a coverd edge then i wouldnt worry to much as the edges are coverd

Sponsored Links
It's for the undersink cabinet discussed in an old thread, so was thinking of a

"down cut blade in a jigsaw and a 5mm bead of mastic will hide any dammage"

Hmm, I wonder who it was that gave me that advice! Haha.

I was going that way until I discovered the other type of blade, but if it doesn't really make any difference, then I might as well use the downcut blade as I already have one of those whereas I'd have to purchase the other one.

FYI, the following two are the other ones I was referring to.

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=66804
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=58528

Thanks.

the curved blades are great

if you are doing a cut out thats coverd"ALWAYS CUT FROM THE TOP"

the blade near the guide wheel may be 2mm off line but 10mm at the other end before you notice if your not used to the tightening feel of an off line blade :D ;)

Thanks big-all; will bear that in mind when carrying out the job. I plan on practising first on scrap. Don't want to have to buy another whole cabinet!

Thanks ModernMaterials.

I used the downcut blade I already had and it worked perfectly, even though it was much longer than my saws maximum rated depth of cut.

I now however have another problem, for which I've created a new thread.

Thanks for all the good advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back