job references

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been out of work for a year now, tomorrow is the anniversary!

However things have picked up recently and I have had some interviews, one going to a second one before they changed theor minds and stuck with the guy they have (they even said they would make me an offer the following week!!)

This week I had another second interview that went well, however during my first I said that I knew somebody who worked for a client they had just finished a big job with, I wasn't name dropping as this guy is a nobody in the client outfit. Now the problem is that I have supplied them with two references but they have taken upon themselves to 'check me out' with this named person.

They have assumed that him and I are mates as he introduced me to my partner and she and his wife are old school chums. However the fact is he's a dick and we havent spoken for several years and I dont want him nosing around in my business. He did phone me tonight being all matey and saying "I'll big you up no problem, just tell me what to say" but I dont want or need his reference and asked him just to confirm that he know's me.

The thing that really grinds my gears is that I've gven them 2 good referees who will be honest about me but they decided to go around the back door and ask this idiot.

What if anything should I do, I kind of like the outfit and need to get back to work but I'm so angry about the route they've taken......

Sponsored Links
Never open avenues you are not prepared to go down, always tell the truth, be as honest and open as possible.
If this person gives a bad report, you are entitled to know, the chances are they will also ask one of the other two referees.

good luck

That's bizarre, why would they not use the referees you gave them is typical.

Tell them that this person cannot provide you with a formal reference and the othe's are better suited.

I have an opposite problem, I have no referees, my last employer went broke and closed and is not available, and the one before that on my CV is fictitious.

I have every sympathy for you, thing's are hard, and I really hate the people who are working and think that there are so many job's available but we are too lazy or something along those line's.

I find relief in knowing this life will come to an end, and is not forever, and going by averages, I am 30, so not long left now, last night I think I had a mild heart attack, I can only sleep on my right side, when sleeping on the left side my heart keeps feling like it's stalling..so much so, I have to kep getting up and taking deep breaths, feels like my hearts stopped or something.....oh well an early death .

The one thing I cannot understand is why I feel somewhat embaressed about not being in work so much so that I cannot walk proudly and feel restricted as to where I can and cannot go....and end up spending most my day at home, and spend most my time alone.....I am not looking for any sympathy just a way out.

Good luck btw.

I didn't open any avenues they sent me a picture of an award ceremony and I said I know the guy, I didn't say we were mates and I didn't sit there and slate him I was there for me not him. John Culshaw the impresionist was in the photo too, I said I know him do you think their asking him for a reference too?

No of course their not, I just mentioned when they asked how I knew this guy about the wives and they've taken 2+2 and come up with 4 when the real answer is 5.

If they had asked me before contacting him I would have told them no to bother as he's a dick, which he has proved by immediately phoning me! But the fact is they didn't ask and thats what get me angry.

If I phone them for a chat before they make a decision then I stand little chance of getting the job because I wont be able to keep myself in check, but if they offer me the job then what, and if they dont offer me the job will it be because of this dick????

Aaaaaaargh :evil:

Sponsored Links
References are a farce.........

You cant give someone a bad reference, its illegal, so whats the point of them? Many companies will now only give factual references - period of employment, start and leave dates, sickness record, holidays, disciplinary record. They wont comment on your character or suitability for fear of having the balls sued off them.

The older and longer your work history gets, the easier it is to fake or circumvent references. Several times ive given one of two mates who both have shops as references. When the letter asking for a reference turns up, they pass it to me and ive filled it in. Ive also lifted a few sheets of letterhead from companies ive worked at, just in case ive needed a written reference.

Ive also been in the position where none of my previous three jobs can provide a reference because the firms has closed or theres no one there who knew me when i was there. Fake references are a godsend then.

Never lie on your CV, but references are fair game :D

when you had 3 un available referees, what did you do?

If the guy you know in the photo was receiving the award, maybe they value his opinion more than you do and if they offer you the job, take it.

After a year out of work, can you afford not to?

when you had 3 un available referees, what did you do?

Used my thoughtfully acquired blank letterheads to generate a written reference.........after all, if the bloke doesnt work there anymore or the place is shut down, they cant check them, can they.........

His opinion of me is worth jack.

He doesn't know me, he's no mate I haven't even spoken to him in 4 years so he can't know me.

If they want to take his word about me and not offer me a job then he'll be done for deformation of character if he writes sh1t about me, and their not worth working for if thats the case.

I may be getting pumped up for nothing but it just gets me that they didn't ask me first.

without immigration gasman, this country, also my country would be shyte

So does the Gobi desert but who'd want to live there either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back