job references

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
That's bizarre, why would they not use the referees you gave them is typical.

Tell them that this person cannot provide you with a formal reference and the othe's are better suited.

I have an opposite problem, I have no referees, my last employer went broke and closed and is not available, and the one before that on my CV is fictitious.

I have every sympathy for you, thing's are hard, and I really hate the people who are working and think that there are so many job's available but we are too lazy or something along those line's.

I find relief in knowing this life will come to an end, and is not forever, and going by averages, I am 30, so not long left now, last night I think I had a mild heart attack, I can only sleep on my right side, when sleeping on the left side my heart keeps feling like it's stalling..so much so, I have to kep getting up and taking deep breaths, feels like my hearts stopped or something.....oh well an early death .

The one thing I cannot understand is why I feel somewhat embaressed about not being in work so much so that I cannot walk proudly and feel restricted as to where I can and cannot go....and end up spending most my day at home, and spend most my time alone.....I am not looking for any sympathy just a way out.

Good luck btw.

my heart bleeds; let me see if I can find a violin for you . . . . .

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
I find relief in knowing this life will come to an end, and is not forever, and going by averages, I am 30, so not long left now, last night I think I had a mild heart attack, I can only sleep on my right side, when sleeping on the left side my heart keeps feling like it's stalling..so much so, I have to kep getting up and taking deep breaths, feels like my hearts stopped or something.....oh well an early death .

Good luck btw.

Have you got plenty of insurance?

my old CV used to have the names and contact details of 3 references, one my old electrical chargehand, one the general production manager and one my old scout leader as a character reference ( he's still friends with my dad who was also a scout leader and he in an MBE.. so it looked good on paper.. ).
now the stupid jobcenter people have re-written my CV and taken all of the references off it and just put "references available on request"..

ALSHEATING...Thanks for highjacking my post to discuss your inability to get a job and rancid thoughts of suicide, either put up or shut up!

I suppose I will have to wait for an outcome of the whole sorry episode before I can decide what to do, if I get the job I will propbably have a quiet word along the lines of knowing someone does not automatically mean friendship. If I don't get the job then I will ask to see the references and make a decision based on that.

COLJACK I recently went on a course arranged through thr jobcentre and it was actually very good, they showed us how to change the CV to suit the search engines that agencies and employers use. Also the explained that you should not put your address (just a postcode) on or your age and definitely not stuff like references as people can use this info the steal your ID.

Personally I say good luck to someone stealing my ID and hope he has a better time of being me than I've had :LOL:

I was being helpful in explaining he was not suffering a heart attack. Now edit his 1st heart wrenching post which is mostly off topic please.

my old CV used to have the names and contact details of 3 references, one my old electrical chargehand, one the general production manager and one my old scout leader as a character reference ( he's still friends with my dad who was also a scout leader and he in an MBE.. so it looked good on paper.. ).
now the stupid jobcenter people have re-written my CV and taken all of the references off it and just put "references available on request"..

Thats correct. You never provide references with a CV, you only provide them when asked. If you send them with the CV, they could check them without telling you, and you never know what might happen.

Also, you need multiple versions of a CV, not one. I have several, one that pitches me as a Project Manager, one that pitches me as an Administrator, One IT tilted, one as Fleet Manager.

Daz66

As far as I'm aware, employers are not legally entitled to seek references from anyone other than the people you nominate.

I really hope you do get the job. Chin up m8 and try to stay positive, although I know that's easier said than done :)

Biggest problem with references in these days of compensation culture is,

Past employer gives you a poor reference,, You can take them to court.

Past employer gives you a great reference (new employer realises after a week that it was bull). New employer can take old employer to court.

A lot of companies are giving out standardised references, detailing what your duties were and what experience you have. Not saying whether you were any good at your previous job.
Sort of non committal reference really.

Biggest problem with references in these days of compensation culture is,

Past employer gives you a poor reference,, You can take them to court.

Past employer gives you a great reference (new employer realises after a week that it was bull). New employer can take old employer to court.

A lot of companies are giving out standardised references, detailing what your duties were and what experience you have. Not saying whether you were any good at your previous job.
Sort of non committal reference really.

its called a factual reference, and contains only facts about your employment, eg start date, leave date, salary, sick record, disciplinary record.

If you check the fifth or sixth post of this thread i already pointed this out.............

Mucho Apologies Lincs. Serves me right for flicking through posts :oops: :oops: :oops:

ALSHEATING...Thanks for highjacking my post to discuss your inability to get a job and rancid thoughts of suicide, either put up or shut up!

I did ask the mods to edit it in a previous post to be more suitable to the discussion as they removed my comment. Why do I get the feeling Ban All Sheds is moderating tonight?

David.

I just recieved a unsuccesful letter from Tesco, for shelf stacking, no body has the right now to tell me I am comfortable on the dole, and not willing to accept mundane work. :evil:
Apologies to Daz66 in advance as it's your thread but ....

Alsheating: You must be in a bit of a quandry now. Having cheated and got your sister to do the psychometric test for you, you now don't know whether Tesco rejected you or her :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back