Johnson and starley

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has a Janus 3/3/30 which she uses for hot water only.
Today her hot water cylinder ran dry because her wc was overflowing . Wc since fixed. Since then the pilot light has gone out on the Janus, is that a safety feature because of no hot water, didn't have time to sort it this evening but hopefully it will relight in the morning?

Sponsored Links
Cant see how the WC overflowing would cause the HW Cylinder to run dry ? and cant see even if it did that the pilot to go out, do you mean the cold water storage tank in the loft ran dry ?

Ian, when the wc was fixed the hot water tank possibly plus the cold tank took a long time to fill up.
I think that when the wc was overflowing someone had a lot of hot water use and because water was pouring out of wc overflow it wasn't filling hot water cylinder.
That's my theory. Could be wrong of course

Sponsored Links
No the HW cylinder would still be full unless you drain it from the drain point, cant see how the two incidents are related

Sorry, I think I made it sound complicated.

The mains wc was overflowing.
I think that someone may have left a hot tap running as well ( I don't live there) just my ancient ma and her visiting carers.
This caused the hot and cold tanks to run dry.

So the question was, could it have caused the warm air boiler to shut down as there was no water to heat in the cylinder.

No the HW cylinder would still be full unless you drain it from the drain point, cant see how the two incidents are related
Unless the feed to WC has been taken from the cold feed to cylinder (teed off @ lowest point).
The cylinder would be the direct type if coupled to a Janus.
The CWSC is possibly slow to fill in which case the WC cistern ran the cylinder dry (no gravity circulation through the Janus).

That sounds right GG. The wc is 1 floor down from the HW cylinder.

So if the Janus had nothing to heat in the HW cylinder what would happen?

Ok, so I have downloaded the user instruction guide tonight , do u reckon I will be able to relight it tomorrow, all looks a bit fidley

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back