repalcement warm air versus radiators

Johnson & Starley have some superb replacement forced air units
with electrostatic air filters, modulating burners & fans and very quiet.
They also cool by moving air in summer. And no rads. You can also add
outside air ventilation too. Humidification can be added without much hassle either. Try that with rads.

The modern forced air units by J&S are a world away from the older units
too. They will transform a system. The reason forced air is not installed is more due to ignorance and lack of skills.

Another thing you googled?
Certainly not something you know form experience.
You really gave yourself away a while ago, when it turned out you were clueless about core-drills.
Why don't you go and watch telly in the rec-room with the other old boys?

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid I am with Big Burner on this one.

We would change the old WAU for a new one in typically one day, we do about 3 a week. The Economaire is a much more modern pulsing burner train, modulating fan unit.

The Cleanairflow filter is incredibly effective, removing particles as fine as cigerette smoke from the recirculated air.

However, we have been experiencing build quality related issues with some new J&S equipment recently.

I used to work on these monsters when i worked on the council grid and i
can tell you that 9 out of 10 tenants who had these fitted where using an inhaler for there chest, i would not have one of these things fitted free.

That is just a total nonsense.

I have seen 1000s of warm air units.

When you go shopping or work in an office, what do you the heating uses? Recirculating air, by any chance? Is Sainsburys full of people gasping through inhalers?

You couldn't make it up, unless your name is Dole.

And your tenants were getting it fitted free.

Sponsored Links
btw all my pro's and cons were based on comments made by my customers on waus that i have worked on. tbh not sure on the effifiency of these and have made my assumptions based on the of appliances.

a wau that has a perforated heat exchanger will have co blown through prems, cant see whats difficult to understand about that.

-=and a final post to big burner aka dr drivel. **** me you are boring. in 10 years of forum posting i have never met someone as completely irritating as you. give yourself a cigar. and choke on it. i feel a imay actually be addressing my comments to a bot as your posts are only ever badly cut and pasted comments from other web pages.

well thats out of the way and i shall refer nor reply to this cretin anymore

and breathe.

op. keeping it simple, i think the biggest considerations you need to make is the cost of the unit and the upheaval to install a combi system, personally i'd say go with a combi a) because im very happy with mine and b) must of my customers who are replacing thier wau's temd to opt for a conbi setup.

hth and best of luck.

That is just a total nonsense.

I have seen 1000s of warm air units.

When you go shopping or work in an office, what do you the heating uses? Recirculating air, by any chance? Is Sainsburys full of people gasping through inhalers?

I cant really comment on domestic versions, as I generally work on commercial units, and totally endorse the above comment of Simon's.

my only experience of J&S was visiting their factory in northampton and doing install and commisioning course.

the electrostatic filter is very impressive, and their efficiency figures are impressive for this type of heating.

Johnson & Starley have some superb replacement forced air units
with electrostatic air filters, modulating burners & fans and very quiet.
They also cool by moving air in summer. And no rads. You can also add
outside air ventilation too. Humidification can be added without much hassle either. Try that with rads.

The modern forced air units by J&S are a world away from the older units
too. They will transform a system. The reason forced air is not installed is more due to ignorance and lack of skills.

Another thing you googled?

You have lost as abuse and offense comes out.

I used to work on these monsters when i worked on the council grid and i can tell you that 9 out of 10 tenants who had these fitted where using an inhaler for there chest, i would not have one of these things fitted free.

Please read the posts. Electrostatic air filters are recommended for asthmatics. Forced air units can be anything from re-circ air to full 100% fresh air. Passing off all forced air units as bad because you came across a cheapo estate full of them shows much ignorance of forced air.

A two duct forced air system when designed into a house from new with fresh air, heat recovery, humidification and comfort cooling is the best heating system you can have. Silent and fresh and even temperatures all around.

Many of us are heated by forced air every day in: offices, cars, shops trains, etc.

Also, avoid unhealthy bug nesting carpets. Laminate floors are better.

btw all my pro's and cons were based on comments made by my customers on waus that i have worked on. tbh not sure on the effifiency of these and have made my assumptions based on the of appliances.

a wau that has a perforated heat exchanger will have co blown through prems, cant see whats difficult to understand about that.

Some forced air units have wet copper coil heater batteries heated by a boiler. Many use high flow combis, so DHW is take care of. So, no flue gasses blown around if heat exchanger perforated, which is near impossible with modern heat exchangers.

-=and a final post to big burner aka dr drivel. **** me you are boring.

DR Drivel may be boring I don't know. I know I am not and know about HVAC.

in 10 years of forum posting

Please stop posting. Your advice is poor as this thread overtly demonstrates.

personally i'd say go with a combi a) because

You say that because you have a little clue about forced air. You are "plumber", not a heating engineer.

Oh dear I seem to have opened a very 'debatable' topic.
For my part I think gas warm air heating is excellent, having had it for 28 years with very little in the way of issues.

Thanks for replies and deffo going against rads with regard to concrete floor and visible piping. Will upgrade to the newer j&s warm air units and not sure its a 'retro' fit as ducting is all in place, so hopefully some sheet metalwork should align old for new. Also looks like new filter system is far superior.

Would it be a job that any corgi gas engineer could install or does he have to be 'certified' for these units and if so any recommendations in the southampton area.

Again cheers for replies.

Must have warm air qualification, ask J&S for a Southampton installer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back