Johnson & Starley J25-32 Modairflow - constantly running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Have just moved into a rental property and have no experience of warm air central heating. Currently have timer set and room thermostat at 4 as coming into warmer weather, but am finding the system constantly seems to be whirring away and firing up. There are a couple of pipes which seem to feed to an immersion heater at the side. I switched off the immersion heater with the intention to turn it on ad hoc, but there seems to be hot water constantly without it turned on and am very concerned at the cost of running this as it is sitting at £40 per week in the milder weather.

Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The hot water will be supplied from a circulator fitted to the side of the unit. In my experience these are a very expensive way of heating the water. It may be this that you can hear keep firing up. Can you take a picture of the set up to confirm?

The landlord or agent should have explained how to operate the CH and HW.

Tony

The hot water will be supplied from a circulator fitted to the side of the unit. In my experience these are a very expensive way of heating the water. It may be this that you can hear keep firing up. Can you take a picture of the set up to confirm?

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply and this sounds likely - have posted in my album pics of unit and adjacent boiler cupboard. On mobile so tricky to upload to thread.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
The landlord or agent should have explained how to operate the CH and HW.

Tony

Thanks Tony. Unfortunately the agent and landlord are fairly useless in this regard or I would have tried this first.

The hot water circ on the side of wau will have a control valve on it turn this to pilot only if you dont want constant HW.
As for constantly hearing the wau are you sure its the wau you hear firing and not the circulator for the hot water.
It could be the summer /winter switch on fan control board has been left in summer position which leaves it on constantly without the burner being on all the time

Can you feel an air flow from the ducts?

Unfortunately the circulating fans are thermostat controlled as they are needed to cool the heat exchanger so they run independently of the burner controls.

However useless the Agent/Landlords are its their duty to advise you how to use the system. Better ones ( 2% ) write a user manual for the property with all the information needed for heating, refuse collection etc.

Tony

I'm not sure which I'm hearing firing but can see two pilot lights lit at any given time. I can't see any controls for the hot water apart from the red valves on the pipes next to the wau and the immersion. If these are thermostat controlled, will having the immersion off cause the circulator to work harder to compensate and heat the hw in the tank? I just want to make sure I don't have any unnecessary and expensive combinations of heating/hw on the go.

There is nothing coming through the vents btw

Thanks everyone

I just want to make sure I don't have any unnecessary and expensive combinations of heating/hw on the go.

Too late, you have a warm air unit, it's the definition of inefficient.

If nothing is coming out of the vents it's probably the circulator that is firing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back