Join CCTV Cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

I have recently bought a CCTV system, but I made a mistake and used the pre-cut cables for the cameras which you can buy from eBay and it turns out that some of the cables are slightly shorter than the length required so I need to increase their length by about by maybe 70 or 80cm.

Inside these cables there are three very thin wires and another much thinner wire which isn't coated, they are all coated with an aluminium foil(I guess).

My question is how do I extend these cables?
The wires inside the cable are very thin and fragile, what sort of stripper should I use?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Did the cables come without connectors or have you cut the connector(s) off to try and extend the cables ?

If they were low cost cables it is very probable that the centre conductors will not be copper and thus un-solderable and thus will require the correct type of crimp on connectors.

Did the cables come without connectors or have you cut the connector(s) off to try and extend the cables ?

If they were low cost cables it is very probable that the centre conductors will not be copper and thus un-solderable and thus will require the correct type of crimp on connectors.

I have now attached a picture of my cables, I had an extra 5m one left at the end so I cut it open to see if it's capable of being extended, would simply joining the wires with the similar colours not do the job?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back