joining 10mm cable and cooker/hob issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to relocate my cooker control unit as my kitchen has moved several feet. my question is, am i right in believing i can use 10mm unisulated crimps with heat sleeve so that it dont need to be accessable?

also, after re- running the cable can i use junction box to split the cable to to have both appliances isolated.

I was going to split the cable, continuing with 10mm to a CCU to the hob
and the other cable in 1.5mm or 2.5mm to Fused switch to the cooker.

what rating will the fuse ant main consumer unit need to be? and what size fuse on the fused swith for cooker ?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Kits containing all the shrink sleeve required for these joints are available the outer at least normally with resin impregnation to form a good seal. As to changing sizes of cable it must be protected from overload within 3 meters of splice. The copper splice units require far more pressure than normal through crimps and would need a hydraulic crimping set and because they as so bulky a cast epoxy resin joint would be normal I have never seen one used in a domestic system.
As to rating of MCB this will depend on route cable takes and manufactures recommendations.
I would consider either two cables or a mini consumer unit in kitchen better option as then if the appliance requires more than 13 amp it can be easy altered to suit.
I would talk this all over with would ever is responsible for Part P as being on site he is in a far better position to advise.
http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Table4D5.html will give you some guide as to cable rating.
Eric

As to changing sizes of cable it must be protected from overload within 3 meters of splice.

I see it as overload protection must be within 3M if you read 433.2.2 (ii) or can be longer than 3M if you read 433.2.2 (i) as long as protection against fault current is met (434.2.2 and 434.5.2).

tripplextc - what are you doing about Building Regulations requirements - i.e. notification and showing that the work complies with P1?

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

Sheds... All work, although done by myself, will go through the right channels. LABC will be informed prior to any electrical installs/mods that need doing (hence my post, asking if it was ok to do this) , and building inspector will do checking same time he comes for all refurbs in house. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back