Joining worktop - very limited space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing a laminate worktop on existing cabinet units. There are three sections - 3 sides of a rectangle bounded at each end by walls. Centre wall is 4.6 metres long. Worktop is to be fabricated offsite by local worktop factory. No problem with first join but second has to be made in situ on top of the base units. There is access underneath for the joining bolts since the join is next to a 15cm gap for trays and towel holder. Also no restrictions in applying the adhesive to the surfaces to be joined. Splash backs are to be installed at each end so I can hide a small gap at both walls (6mm in total???) to try and make space for the last section to be positioned and aligned.

Does this plan sound feasible or is it likely to end in tears? Any practical experience on the minimum gap needed to carry out this operation?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Thats the normal way to do it, centre peice in first with female joints cut and then either side with male joints.Do you have all the tools required, template jig, router etc.

Just to clarify I am getting the local worktop people to cut the worktop and joints and I am then planning to install it. The question is mainly related to how much slack I need and hence the measurements I need to give the worktop people, hopefully having properly researched that I will be able to fit it without undue problems.

Thanks for your help.

Get it cut to size less 5mm , if it's still tight you can chase the wall to allow it to drop in.

Sponsored Links
One other thing, has the worktop co. allowed for walls (relative to each other) angles being off from the perfect 45 deg. the accumulation of which can be above or below the expected, in your case 270 deg.?? ...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back