Joining your neighbours extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a semi, and the neighbour has a box extension out back.

Now I want to get an extension.

What are the rules? :?:
Do I join his extension, or leave a gap?

His extension runs along our joint boundry.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Forgive me - am I being a bit slow here? Why would anybody in the U.K. know about building regulations in Belarus?!!!!

flooringman said:
Forgive me - am I being a bit slow here? Why would anybody in the U.K. know about building regulations in Belarus?!!!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry, I forgot I even did that! :oops:

I'm in UK.... ;)

That's better..

Now.. what do you do?

please note 10 a ;)

speak to your local planning office. they will give you a good guide as to whats acceptable, and whats not and its free!

Sponsored Links
As well as talking to planning, read up on the Party Wall Act. If you join to neighbours extension it becomes a party wall. There are laid down procedures to follow, and you need to know them (i.e. your rights and responsibilities) before you speak to your neighbour.

Since "cleaning up" the legislation the courts are strictly applying the new law in cases of dispute, so if you don't follow the requirements you won't have a leg to stand on and you'll pay £000's in legals.

I thought it would be a lot more simple than this.

If the rooms don't touch.., then if your neighbour gets an extension, then they effectively take up part of your land.

Moreover, happy that they won't touch.., but what do I do? - leave an inch wide gap?

Thousands of people must hit this issue..

as far as i recall planning law states that any extension should be a minimum of 1 metre from the boundary. Leave an inch wide gap and how are you going to build it or carry out repairs? Problems with damp as well! In answer to your question there is no simple answer. Each council interprets the planning rules differently.eg some include a garage built at the time of the building as part of the allowed permitted development, some dont. Also depends on what sort of house you have, whats been done so far, if your in a designated area of outstanding beauty etc etc etc. Also building control will have a view. Best way really is to give them a quick ring or pop in and talk to them about what you would like to do and they will tell you definitivly.

Thanks Guys,
I will have to speak to the council, and I will post the answer if anyone's interested.

My neighbours extension is a straight forward box extension running along our boundary. I presumably he must consent to me doing the same?

I imagine I would like to join to this wall, but double layer and loose a couple of inches on the inside to provide sound proofing.

mail2neil said:
My neighbours extension is a straight forward box extension running along our boundary. I presumably he must consent to me doing the same?
Normally 2 or more neighbours will get a letter from the BCO for them to see the drawing plan and give them approximately 21 days noticed to object but must have a very good reason.

Thanks Guys,
I will have to speak to the council, and I will post the answer if anyone's interested.

Yes,please do - I for one would like to know what answer you get.

I still maintain that with something like building you should not bother with the forum, but consult your local bco, council who ever. my reason? take this for an example (no offence to the poster intended what so ever)
as far as i recall planning law states that any extension should be a minimum of 1 metre from the boundary.
if that is the case why can i touch the side of my neigbours extension with my little finger? (its that close)

We had no objections to his extension, we actually did say it was not big enough. my point being one person says this another says that, but we all agree consult bco, so it would also seem differnt areas different rules, so agin consult local bco

breezer, thats way i then went on to make my further point!

I mean honestly, whats the point, whats the bloody point, you sit down and you pour your heart out, work your fingers to the bone and is it appreciated, no! I could have run a hotel in torquay you know, but oh no, no im stuck here, trying my best and what happens.....er yes dear, just checking the walls

We had an extension built some years ago and like yourself we had the same dilema. We approached our neighbours with our proposal and they were happy to use their external wall as the outer wall of our extension providing that we didn't directly tie the bricks into it. We used an architect for the project management and plans, all we had to do was issue the neighbours with a party wall notice, which they happily signed. The extension wasn't large enough to require planning permission but was built under a building notice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back