Joint for hidden compartment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm a novice at woodworking but would like to make a wall mounted storage unit for cds, clock, few books etc. I want one section to have a hidden compartment. The face of this section would be set back into the carcass and I would place a joint of some kind about which the face could swivel to open and close by pushing one end of the face. I dont know what kind of joint to use. Is there anything suitable. I could put a dowel in to the top and another into the bottom of the face and set these loosely into the top and bottom of the carcass.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
do it the easy way make you pivoting secrete door into a drawer front problem solved
just leave a 2mm gap at the top to hook over with an allen/hex key or similar

One way of arranging a secret panel is for the panel to sit in a rebated opening. The rebate can be either worked into the carcase, or glued /pinned on.
One side of the rebate is angled off for say a quarter of the length so that when you push that end of the panel in the other end lifts out enough to allow the panel to be removed. Old ones are often held in by friction, but a couple of small magnetic catches would do a good job.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back