jointing cables

Sponsored Links
Did you say you where going for NICEIC enrolement?

Maybe ask their technical team how to joint a cable?

Seriously.......

Im not too sure what your asking?

Sponsored Links
already in the niceic,

the type of jointing i need has to be descrete didnt want jb's all over wall and also dont like crimping can come loose and never get a good connection i dont think, didnt know if there was any better ways

dont like crimping can come loose and never get a good connection i dont think

Crimping is a method encouraged for inaccessible joints as they DONT work loose ;)

If it has to remain on show, fit an enclosure with terminals inside. For a few cables, you could use a standard 25mm pattress (or a metal box chased in / dry lining box) - then fit a blank plate. For any more, use a gewiss type adaptable box.

I would heartily recommend 'heat-shrink butt crimps' as the answer. Brilliant, and I got the suggestion from this fab forum. The heat-shrink seals and reinforces the connection: it will not pull apart, though I'd recommend avoiding them in situations where the joint is under strain. Much better than anything else I've seen and they look neat. I got them from Rapidonline.com.

soldering is the best way to join cables but takes practice and knowlage to do right especially with solid cables (flex is easy, just twist together and then solder, solid cable really requires you to wire bind cables together).

crimps are less likely to work loose than screws but can still do it with sufficiant vibration and unlike screws there is no way to retighten them.

the heatshrink end crimps are presumablly less likely to take an undesirable poke from a fish wire or similar in a conduit/trunking system due to thier more rounded ends but otherwise i'd consider them extreme overkill for normal work.

Extreme overkill...that's me all over...(gave me the excuse to buy another tool, though - 2KW heat gun).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back