Joist Hanger selection for 6x2 Garden Building base?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've spent way too long trying to work out which type of joist hangers I should use for the base of my garden room/office. Too many options at quite big price differences.

I'm using 6x2 (145x45) C24.

Would these be strong enough - Simpson Strong-tie THM230/47 Mono Truss Hanger 47mm ?

In the past I used these from screwfix, but they are significantly more expensive (I need 64)

I don't mind paying more for the right quality, but if the Strong Tie are enough, at 70p each, that would save me a few hundred £.

Also happy to be told both are wrong and I should look at something else.

Sponsored Links
Cheaper than a 2x2 and notched joists?
Care to explain, I don't know what you mean :)

The 6x2 frame and joists for the building are all in place at the moment, just with a couple of screws to hold then temporarily until I add joist holders (or whatever)

Care to explain, I don't know what you mean :)

The 6x2 frame and joists for the building are all in place at the moment, just with a couple of screws to hold then temporarily until I add joist holders (or whatever)

Old skool:

IMG_20230616_114718900.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ah ok! I've already got it all in place, taking it all apart for that would be a nightmare! :) Next time maybe.

I think it'll have to be joist hangers, I just dont know how to tell if the ones I am looking at are 'strong' enough - it'll be an office and gym, some heavy-ish equipment (running machine, maybe a weights machine/setup.

A couple of stout nails, partly pre-drilled to ensure they hammer in straight and don't split the wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back