Joist hanging in mid-air (pic enclosed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After pulling down plaster and lath from the kitchen ceiling, I noticed that a 7x3 inch joist isn't attached to the supporting wall at one end. Pulling down more plaster revealed a chimney hole that had been blocked off and hidden by plasterboard and also two other 7x2 joists that are connected to the first 7x3 joist.

Obviously the joists should be connected to the supporting wall.How is the best way to support the joists and chimney above?

20a2vxe.jpg

The green joists are the problem ones and must have been like this for 25 years, I will try and post a photo later.

Thanks for any advice.
Daz

Sponsored Links
The 7" x 3" is the support trimmer for the two joists that were cut off by the chimney. Why it does not bear onto a supporting wall is beyond me. :eek:

Was the lower part of the chimney built in such a way as to support the trimmer, but now it is 'floating' since the lower part was removed?

The 7" x 3" is the support trimmer for the two joists that were cut off by the chimney. Why it does not bear onto a supporting wall is beyond me. :eek:

Was the lower part of the chimney built in such a way as to support the trimmer, but now it is 'floating' since the lower part was removed?

that's what i was thinking, I am guessing it must have been removed in the 80s as that was apparently when the house was rewired and a down stairs toilet was put in.

We have removed the toilet and a stud wall so we have one big room for the kitchen I will post a pic where the stud was.

Sponsored Links

obvious isnt it, they didnt have any longer timber at the shop! :LOL:

The stud return, separating the passage and the loo may have been supporting the trimmer.

Still, looking at it again, this is where the doorway into the loo would have been, no?

In any case, pop an acro or wedge a length of 4" x 2" under it for now.

no because theyd have had some bricks left over then. :LOL:

nice holiday?

The stud return, separating the passage and the loo may have been supporting the trimmer.

Still, looking at it again, this is where the doorway into the loo would have been, no?

In any case, pop an acro or wedge a length of 4" x 2" under it for now.

Thanks, yes I have the 4x2 there for now but just need to find a way to fix it so I can put the plasterboards up.

any good suggestions welcome :idea:

Slip in a piece of 7" x 2" bearer into the gap so that it is long enough to sit onto the chimney wall at one end then coach screw it into the joist ends of the neighbouring room, then wrap a jiffy hanger around the trimmer and fix it to the bearer.

Slip in a piece of 7" x 2" bearer into the gap so that it is long enough to sit onto the chimney wall at one end then coach screw it into the joist ends of the neighbouring room, then wrap a jiffy hanger around the trimmer and fix it to the bearer.

Thanks for that, do you mean like this?

2z8w7c3.jpg

would it be strong enough to support the chimney if I was to add the other two also ?

Are you saying that someone has knocked out the chimney breast on the ground floor and left the chimney in above it? :eek:

Well I'm no builder, but I think you should get one out to have a look sharpish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back