Joists hanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Can you put joists on top of blocks? What I've seen usually is a hanger is applied on blocks then joists rests below the bock but my builder plans to rest the actual joists on top of the block to gain extra height. Is this possible if so which hangers would they be using?

I wanted to know more about this before they proceed mainly if it's a normal practice.

Sponsored Links
Yes it is fine. Usually you'd put a timber wall plate on top of the wall then skew nail the joists to the plate and block between them (to stop them twisting). No hangars required.

Sponsored Links
Yes its for ceiling. its for outbuilding flat roof.

One thing i noticed was the lentil is running at top. level. the joists needs to run at top of it. So can the builders screw through a lentil? i read somewhere you cant.

sorry i do trust builders but its good to double check than regret after!

Are the builders just making it up on a whim, or following plans?

its a garage outbuilding, so no plans were created as such so going with flow. its on price but i supply all materials.

as long as its within 30sqm and meets the height requirements before building regs or planning perm kicks in.

Yes its for ceiling. its for outbuilding flat roof.

One thing i noticed was the lentil is running at top. level. the joists needs to run at top of it. So can the builders screw through a lentil? i read somewhere you cant.

sorry i do trust builders but its good to double check than regret after!
Is your builder vegetarian?

If you mean LINTEL (loadbearing bridging piece) rather than LENTIL (dodgy vegetable) then depends what sort of LINTEL it is- concrete, fabricated steel, timber, dubious RSJ?

Sorry it's lintel damn autocorrect.

It's a concrete one. Had thinkwhy vegetarian lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back