Joist Hanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Im looking at my plans they spec 4x50x220 Joists around my staircase of which two of the connect and I will need to get a joist hanger for such but cant find a hanger for this size. forgive me if im reading the plans wrong. This morning the only joist hanger I could get in the builders merchants was a 150wide. In the plans attached the joists im trying to connect are those at 2546 in length but shows this as 4 also or should this be smaller than 4 joists bolted together what size hanger should I use to connect it to the main joists going accross?

1663409464244.png

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt normally specify anything larger than a triple joist - I’d specify a steel beam if a quadruple was required.

OK, I assume you are planning to rest the long trimmer on the blockwork, so no hangers required there?

Also, it says TBC. Why not ask your designer to confirm as they may be able to specify a triple.

You definitely won’t need a quadruple for the shorter span so you will be able to use a 150mm hanger there. It wouldn’t surprise me if a double worked but ask your designer to confirm.

In any case, even if you do need to install a quadruple, you can locally take enough material off both sides of the trimmer at the ends so that it will fit into a 150mm wide hanger. If the joists are 47mm wide that will be 19mm off each side. You won’t have any problems with shear so removing that much material for the first 50mm or so of the length won’t cause a problem.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Im looking at my plans they spec 4x50x220 Joists around my staircase of which two of the connect and I will need to get a joist hanger for such but cant find a hanger for this size. forgive me if im reading the plans wrong. This morning the only joist hanger I could get in the builders merchants was a 150wide. In the plans attached the joists im trying to connect are those at 2546 in length but shows this as 4 also or should this be smaller than 4 joists bolted together what size hanger should I use to connect it to the main joists going accross?

View attachment 279788
Just build the timber beam into the walls.

Sponsored Links
Whoever designs and specifies a beam, should be designing or specifying the connection. Ask them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back