junction box under sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a flat and noticed a junction box under the kitchen sink.

Don't like the thought of it being there unsecured as if we get a leak, the box would get wet.

Is it a big job to move the box and secure so that it's not at risk of being touched by water?

Sponsored Links
It is not the ideal place for a junction box to be, If at all possible I try and replace the whole run of cable, so avoiding the joint and at the same time route the cable beneath the kitchen units.
I this can not be done then moving the cable beneath the kitchen units with the junction box connection could be your best solution, providing the cable length will allow and the junction box is left in an accessible place, for later inspection/testing purposes.

There are doubtless plenty of other junction boxes in places where if there was a leak, they would get wet. You just can't see them. Leave it alone.

Sponsored Links
As said, you get leaks anywhere.

But the junction box should be fixed to something.

You could replace it for an outdoor junction box if you like, cables best entering the bottom of the box.

Junction box under the sink.

This is not something I would loose sleep over. Depending on the severity of a leak water will reach many unexpected places and come into contact with electricity.

Starspark, how many junction boxes do you come across that are not accessible? ;)

By pulling down ceilings, ripping up floors or knowing they are there somewhere, but unable to get to them, so you cut it off and start again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back