Just a quick plasterboard question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, currently in the process of doing our bathroom out.

I have insulated ceiling etc, and going to be buying foil backed plasterboards for the ceiling, my question is should these be primed to stop any moisture passing through to the boards? or can i just plaster direct onto them?

Will also be using these on walls, battening and insulating then boarding. We want to tile the walls so should i prime the boards with anything for the tile adhesive to stick like pva etc?

will greatly appreciate your answers

Regards

Lee

Sponsored Links
id use moisture boards on the lids and gypframe system for the walls skrim the joints two coat skim use (board finish)

Hi all, currently in the process of doing our bathroom out.
I have insulated ceiling etc, and going to be buying foil backed plasterboards for the ceiling, my question is should these be primed to stop any moisture passing through to the boards? or can i just plaster direct onto them?
No need to prime unless its Moisture Resistant board & then use a bonding primer (Bond It) or the plaster won’t stick. Have you done any plastering before?
Will also be using these on walls, battening and insulating then boarding. We want to tile the walls so should i prime the boards with anything for the tile adhesive to stick like pva etc?
Never use PVA on any area you’re going to tile. It doesn’t improve adhesion & in fact has the opposite effect; & if you use it in a wet area, your tiles could end up on the floor. If using cement based tile adhesive (which you should on anything larger than around 300 x 200mm, you must prime gypsum plaster or PB with an acrylic primer before tiling to avoid a reaction between the gypsum & cement.

Dulpex (foil back) is conventional plasterboard & not ideal for bathrooms as it’s susceptible to damp. You should be using Moisture Resistant PB for bathrooms in general but I would always advise waterproof tile backer boards in wet areas; if you use any conventional PB here, you should always tank it or it could have a seriously short life. Can you explain the reasons for your choices? If its insulation & a damp membrane your looking for Duplex isn’t an ideal choice; are they single skin external brick walls?

Read the Sticky & archive posts in the Tiling Forum before you commit yourself further, it may save you making some unfortunate & expensive mistakes. ;)

Hi thanks for your answers.

Richard yes i have plastered a few times before but never in a bathroom where is pronned to alot of condensation.

I will be using cement based adhesive as i find this is alot better. I was thinking about using MR P/B for just around the bath where there will be alot of water splashing the tiles. So do you recommend i use MR boards for ceiling also? i will be fitting extractor vent above the bath.

My bathroom has a cavity which has been filling with insullation years ago with the old wool type. Main reason for using duplex is to retrain that extra bit of heat also the cost comes into it, they work out only a few ££ more than the usual plasterboard.

look forward to hearing from you

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
why not use tile backer board round the bath id use mr/pb in the bathroom walls and lid bondit skim it dont skim tilebacker board

Hi again just ordered mr boards from local builders for ceiling, should i prime these with anything before skimming? Will also use these around wet areas. Should i tank these before tiling? Thx again

i had a phone convo with bg the other week to clarify some matters about mr boards to which they stated that your defeating the object if you skim mr boards, as any gypsum plaster used in the bathroom has to be sealed with a good paint, therefore if your going to skim you might as well use normal boards as the boards are going to be skimmed and sealed anyway and skimming mr boards means priming with bond it or similar

so many different opinions gets confussing in the end lol.

Richard whats the best bonding primer to get for the MR boards before i plaster the ceiling? and where to get it? ive looked for bondit cant find it near me.

As regards with the acrylic primer for the mr boards before tiling whats the best to get? wickes sell it as "Trade Acrylic primer undercoat" would this be suitible?

thanks in advance i appreciate everyones answers

Richard yes i have plastered a few times before
Just wanted to be sure you knew exactly what you were taking on, especially ceilings.
but never in a bathroom where is pronned to alot of condensation.
Condensation is primarily caused through a lack of ventilation, additional insulation probably wont cure that if you have a problem.
I will be using cement based adhesive as i find this is alot better.
If you use cement addy over gypsum plaster/boards then prime with an acrylic tile primer.
I was thinking about using MR P/B for just around the bath where there will be alot of ater splashing the tiles.
I would not use MR board in a wet area unless it’s tanked; use waterproof tile backer boards.
So do you recommend i use MR boards for ceiling also?
No basic Gyproc board (duplex or otherwise) will be fine as long as it’s skimmed.
i will be fitting extractor vent above the bath.
An extractor vent! do you mean an extractor fan? A fan is what you need (& it’s a BR requirement on new bath/shower rooms) but electrical work in a bath/shower/kitchen room must be undertaken by a Part P spark or notified; you can DIY but you must notify LABC & it’s not worth the hassle.
My bathroom has a cavity which has been filling with insullation years ago with the old wool type. Main reason for using duplex is to retrain that extra bit of heat also the cost comes into it, they work out only a few ££ more than the usual plasterboard.
With what you currently have, you will gain virtually nothing with regard to heat loss; I suspect your condensation problem is caused by lack of ventilation. Duplex is just ordinary PB & using this in a bath/shower room can have big disadvantages.
Hi again just ordered mr boards from local builders for ceiling, should i prime these with anything before skimming?
I never advised you to use MR board on the ceiling; basic Gyproc board (duplex or otherwise) will be fine as long as it’s skimmed; I was talking about the walls. If you’ve MR board now then you will need to prime before skimming; Thistle Bond it or, at a push, PVA with sand in it.
Will also use these around wet areas. Should i tank these before tiling? Thx again
If you use MR in wet areas I advise you to tank; much better use waterproof tile backer boards.

i had a phone convo with bg the other week to clarify some matters about mr boards to which they stated that your defeating the object if you skim mr boards, as any gypsum plaster used in the bathroom has to be sealed with a good paint, therefore if your going to skim you might as well use normal boards as the boards are going to be skimmed and sealed anyway and skimming mr boards means priming with bond it or similar
Right; I never advised using MR boards for the ceiling (see above reply to OP); I obviously didn’t make this clear. If you’re going to fully tile use MR boards without skim & tile directly; if you skim (any boards) you reduce the maximum tile weight to 20 kg/sqm including addy & with today’s tendency for large format tiles that could be a problem. If you want ½ tiled use MR board, prime & skim the area that’s not being tiled, wasting the skim just inside the tile area, best of both worlds. In wet areas use a waterproof tile backer board & tile directly over that.

so many different opinions gets confussing in the end lol.
I’m sorry that you seem to be getting confusing answers; they are well intended but your thread is going at breakneck speed. I would advise you to slow down, take in what you’ve been told already & do some more research of your own; then come back & ask questions if you need to.

I do only renovation work; plastering (both skim & proper), bath/shower/kitchen refurbs/refits, including drainage & general building works; the advice I give you is based on this.

Hi richard thanks for the advice going to do research on everything you have listed then i will pop back with the progress. Thanks 2 every1 who give me their advice.

Regards

Lee

Hi all just plastered ceiling today did first coat going to give it another once im off work. Richard im going to use MR boards around the bathroom excluding wet areas, i will use aquapanels from wickes for around the bath. Should i prime the MR boards with thistle bond it before tiling? or is this only used when plastering them? thanks in advance will post some pics shortly

just plastered ceiling today did first coat going to give it another once im off work.
Ermm not sure you’ve quiet grasped the 2 skim coats bit, thought you said you’d done some spreading before :confused: . The 2 coats are supposed to be applied one immediately after the other, ideally with the same mix, otherwise your just wasting your time & creating more work for the next skim!
Should i prime the MR boards with thistle bond it before tiling? or is this only used when plastering them?
Just tile straight onto it; primer only required if you want to skim.

yeh have done skimming before but always let the first skim dry same it is, going to have 2 coats in the end only difference is applying pva to second lol. ok m8 thanks for advice will soon be posting pics in my projects once i get half way lol give me time :)

after putting plaster on today, the spreading / smoothing i did go back over to fill in uneven surfaces etc, but want to give it another when off work to fully cover jointing tape. mixed a bit to much today lol had alot waste but rather to much than not enough lol its a race against time with me lol

Hi all, just finished plasterboarding the bathroom. Ive used Moisture resistant boards on non wet areas, and aquapanels around bath etc.

is there any need to prime these before tiling or should they only be primed if plastering? ill be using cement based adhesive all round

thanks in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back