just curious about oil c/h

B

breezer

i was just wondering.

the following is hypothetical

I have a ground floor oil supplied boiler, my oil tank is in the garden it is on the ground it works fine.

I convert my house into flats

I want to put oil boilers in both upstairs and downstairs flats using same oil tank. (arguments aside abut who uses most oil, and this is still hypothetical remember)

To get oil to the ground floor flat is no problem since its already there.

but to get oil to the top (1st floor) flat would i

a) have to raise the oil tank to give the oil more pressure to get it to the first floor.

b) install a pump to pump it there, leaving tank exactly where it is.

dont forget i am not really doing this, just wondering.

Sponsored Links
ive seen a couple in lofts, wall mounted camrays. pain in the are se.

use a tigerloop.

I dont really know BUT I think:-

There is a limit on the amount of oil which can be stored within a building just a few litres! But I have seen a small header oil tank gravity supplying an oil burning appliance.

There may be a restriction on pressurised oil supplies within a building.

I think you need professional help ( for the oil that is! )

Tony

I am not sure of the answer, but it must be possible as my mum lives in a first floor flat in a big old house and has an oil fired boiler. The tank being at ground level. I can not find out the how at the moment as she is on holiday. I would suspect a pump close to the boiler as there is nothing like that near the tank.

She is back next week, if you hypothesis can wait that long ;)

Andrew

Sponsored Links
I don't see any problem with your proposal. The oil pump on my boiler can pull oil from a depth of something like 12 or 15 ft.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I've seen it done with a tigerloop. 12ft exceeds the spec for the pump, and the life of the pump may be shortened considerably. It would also be costly if you ran out of oil. You could also use a lift pump to fill a subsidiary reservoir, these cost around £300. They have various safety switches in them. If you develop a vacuum of more than 0.4 bar the oil will "boil", this is not the required "oil boiler" function. You could have an external ground level boiler, or an external wall mount boiler at ground floor level, and just run the circulating water pipes up into the flat. This would make servicing less of a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back