Just Curious About This Method Of Running Cable In Stud Wall

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story :)

The McDonald’s Hot Coffee Case
It is the case that gave rise to the attacks on “frivolous lawsuits” in the United States. Almost everyone seems to know about it. And there’s a good chance everything you know about it is wrong.
Actually, I do know about it - I have read all that before, and I remain convinced of the following:

The victim was a complete t**t to put a hot cup of coffee between her thighs, sitting in a car, trying to take the lid off.

The jurors were all complete t**ts for ignoring one very simple fact:

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A HOT DRINK.

Not warm - HOT.

Tea, for example, has to be made with BOILING water. Not warm, not 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, but 212 degrees Fahrenheit.

If made with water not hot enough, or if made with boiling water and then stored at a lower temperature it becomes not fit for purpose.

If somebody sold me stale tea at a lukewarm temperature I would reject it.

When I make, or buy, a hot drink I treat it accordingly and do not do stupid things with it.

The proper outcome of that case should have been a loud and clear message that if you do something stupid and get hurt it is your fault, not the fault of the person who gave you the thing which hurt you when you did something stupid with it.

The message should have been that it behoves people to grow some common sense, to think about WTF they are doing, not to do stupid things, and not to go through life blithely assuming that risk analysis is always somebody else's responsibility, and that if they don't warn you not to do something stupid you can't be blamed if you do.

Sponsored Links
I was driving in Florida just after that MacDonalds case, and stopped at a diner for a burger and fries (as you do). The fries came in the usual polystyrene box, which was sealed with a paper sticker stating "WARNING - These fries may be hot!".
I pointed out that if they weren't, I'd be asking for my money back. Strangely, the accompanying paper cup of coffeee had no such warning. :eek:

Tea, for example, has to be made with BOILING water. Not warm, not 180 to 190 degrees Fahrenheit, but 212 degrees Fahrenheit.

If made with water not hot enough, or if made with boiling water and then stored at a lower temperature it becomes not fit for purpose.

If somebody sold me stale tea at a lukewarm temperature I would reject it

I don't know what you'd do if you were where I am, you never get hot tea here when you go out unless you go to a decent restaurant, but everywhere else it's warm.... just!! :mrgreen: Still I like it anyhow, hate having to wait for tea to cool down :p

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back