1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Just Curious About This Method Of Running Cable In Stud Wall

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Tozzy, 4 Aug 2012.

1. Tozzy

Tozzy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Is it done like this above? If not, then why because I would have thought this would have been the most sensible way?

All I've ever seen is the cable being run like this which i would have thought would have been more likely to be drilled through:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. RF Lighting

RF Lighting

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There is a 50mm rule. If the cable is 50 mm from the outer then some of the rules don't apply. But in the main cables are run horizontal or vertical from a visible point. So both pictures would likely fall foul of the rules.

There are exceptions to every rule and to say something is wrong one has to be careful. Ali-tube cable can be run with routes not permitted with twin and earth and also without RCD protection.

There are exceptions to near every rule. Some are not really to the design ideas for example because I am an electrician I can following the rules do things in my house which for a non electrician would not comply. Clearly this is not what was intended when the rules were written.

however it does make it hard to say something should not be done without having full facts.

5. Tozzy

Tozzy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

6. sparkwright

sparkwright

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Obviously from a DIY book.

Either run the cable under the floorboards or horizontally in line with the socket.

7. sparkwright

sparkwright

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The cable shown going from floor to ceiling isn't right if less than 50 mm from the surface either.

DIY books on home electrics tend to be written by other DIYers or plasterers...

8. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    From the use of the words "staple" and "receptacle" and the spelling of the word "molding" (not to mention the fact we'd call it skirting, plus the odd use of a ceiling fitting box right next to a joist and the cables running an odd route, I'd say it's from the US or other country using that spelling.

Why take the lighting cable all the way down the wall to go up again?

9. Steve

Steve

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    TO AVOID ANY CONFUSION, THIS DIAGRAM IS FOR AMERICAN WIRING REGULATIONS AND IS NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH BRITISH STANDARDS FOR WIRING

It is not permitted to run cables - or wire accessories - as per this diagram in England and Wales. If in doubt, please ask for advice here or consult a qualified electrician.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. mattylad

mattylad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Shouldnt be able to either as there is likely to be nails at the very ends of the vertical wood so it cannot be drilled through.

12. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  13. Tozzy

Tozzy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Great, thanks for clearing that up for me guys. Just got 1 more question but will post in separate thread

14. streetlighter

streetlighter

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I bought one of the US wiring manuals about 10 years ago from amazon just out of curiousity to see what there wiring methods where like.
    Id gathered bits from watching This Old House on Discovery channel but it made for intresting reading

15. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes - for a country where it is judged to be a restaurateur's fault if a customer is injured because they drove a car with a cup of hot coffee on their lap they have a remarkably cavalier attitude to electrical safety.

16. AlexHudghton

AlexHudghton

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story :)

The McDonald’s Hot Coffee Case
    It is the case that gave rise to the attacks on “frivolous lawsuits” in the United States. Almost everyone seems to know about it. And there’s a good chance everything you know about it is wrong.

http://www.caoc.org/index.cfm?pg=facts

Regards

Alex

17. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There is a conflict of hazards when deciding on the temperature.

If the coffee is made and then is kept ready and waiting in a jug on a hot plate it can present a hazard of bacterial growth and subsequent illness in those who drink it. ( Minute but apparently considered significant ). So all coffee that is served that way should be kept above 60 deg C to reduce the bacterial hazard.

Similar with hot water supplies,. they should be hot enough to scald to ensure that Legionella cannot breed in the water in the tank.