Just one more cooker question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Previous owners had a big range cooker on 6mm sq cable from CU 40 amp MCB via cooker connection unit. I only have a donated 2.6KW oven as can't afford what they took out. As this works out as drawing 11.3amp would I be best to just plug it in through a 13amp plug or can I replace the MCB for a lower rated one so to keep it on its own radial? I'd prefer it to be on the seperate MCB as I can then utilise the switch on the CCU to isolate it quickly. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Swap breaker for 32A (or 16A if CCU has no socket on it), and replace the cooker outlet plate with an unswitched socket outlet

Cheers Adam, CCU does have a socket on it so will need the 32Amp breaker. Then would changing the outlet plate to a FCU with a 13amp fuse be better or just stick with the plug & socket. I know plug sounds easier but decent plug & socket will cost more than an FCU! (No Plug on oven I got given)

God I'm sounding cheap! ;)

either a FCU or a plug and socket will be fine electrically they are basically identical.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back