just some advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,
I have just stripped the tiles off of the walls in my kitchen and have found that a pipe to the boiler has just been left and not plastered over so i was wondering what the steps would be to plaster it properly please have a look at the pic and advise,all help appreciated cheers

pipe.jpg

Sponsored Links
PVA where the pipe has been chased out, leave it to dry over night then re-apply PVA, let that go tacky then fill out and plaster with one coat plaster.
You could use a base base coat then a finish plaster, instead of one coat but for area you are repairing, not worth it.
I assume it's the gas supply pipe?

Better leaving it as it is. Alkali renders etc eat away at copper and perforate pipes - then you've got a gas leak in a place you don't want one. Boom!

Sponsored Links
If you are tiling again then leave it where it is and make sure you dont have a vertical grout line over it, if not then use one coat plaster as mentioned, when it firms up scrape it back to being flush with the existing wall, apply a coat or two of easy fill or jointing compound over the top and flat back until an acceptable finish is acheived.

please have a look at the pic and advise,all help appreciated cheers

Before you cover it all up....
To the right hand side of the gas pipe in the pic, is there any damp?
Not sure what the vertical 'dark' pattern is.

id use bonding mixed with a HAND FALL OF CEMENT in it
just too cover the pipe space for top coat
then just spread over a coat of easyfill quickset
will all be dry and ready for sanding the same day

please have a look at the pic and advise,all help appreciated cheers

Before you cover it all up....
To the right hand side of the gas pipe in the pic, is there any damp?
Not sure what the vertical 'dark' pattern is.

that is damp from where i removed the tile adhesive and it wetted it so not a problem but thanks for pointing it out cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back