just wanted to fix boiler timer, got quotes for wireless thermostats?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the boiler timer stopped working, it sits on the boiler. This is currently an empty house that will hopefully finally be rented soon! are

Tado V3+ smart
thermostat

or

EPH programmable room thermostat

any good chaps?

thankyou!

Sponsored Links
Both are decent , but post a pic of the boiler and boiler timer as you call it so we can see what you want to replace, also do you have any other controls romm thermostats etc, pics are always best

thanks man. there is some other thermostat in the corridor that ive never tried to use or know if is working. I can test it tomorrow I guess!
IMG_20230120_132436.jpg

they were sposed to give me a quote for a non wireless too i thought. isnt easier to just replace it on the actual boiler or is more likely to break again due to the clockwork pieces etc.

there is some other thermostat in the corridor
If you can take a photo of that (and the wiring connected to it), we may be able to advise further.
isnt easier to just replace it on the actual boiler or is more likely to break again due to the clockwork pieces etc.
It is very common for the existing thermostat to be replaced with a 'smart thermostat', or similar. In which case, all the timing functions are taken over by this.
The timer on your boiler would become redundant - you would set it to permanently on, and let the new thermostat do all the work.

Sponsored Links
they were sposed to give me a quote for a non wireless too i thought. isnt easier to just replace it on the actual boiler or is more likely to break again due to the clockwork pieces etc.
If you wanted to do that you could only use an exact replacement for the one you already have, would be the easist way to do it, its called a worcester MT10, around the £60 mark Mr Central heating is probably the cheapest

No idea if that thermostat actually works, testing it now and thanks for the help. The open cupboard is where the boilers is

If you wanted to do that you could only use an exact replacement for the one you already have, would be the easist way to do it, its called a worcester MT10, around the £60 mark Mr Central heating is probably the cheapest
Is a mechanical more likely to mess up in the future again though? Cheers.
IMG_20230201_115804.jpg
IMG_20230201_115638.jpg

The current thermostat is working completely fine, but maybe a direct replacement of the mechanical timer is still more likely than a wireless unit to fail in a few years again? Im probably overthinking innit.

The current thermostat is working completely fine, but maybe a direct replacement of the mechanical timer is still more likely than a wireless unit to fail in a few years again? Im probably overthinking innit.
the on board digital ones are far more likely to fail than the mechanical one, if your existing boss is wired then just replace it with a programmable room stat and leave the existing clock set to constantly on

The
the on board digital ones are far more likely to fail than the mechanical one, if your existing boss is wired then just replace it with a programmable room stat and leave the existing clock set to constantly on
The eph programmable one is an on board digital? Ive no idea. I think ill get charged more to both do something with the boss and change the mechanical timer with another.

The eph programmable one is an on board digital?
do you have a link for this ?

think ill get charged more to both do something with the boss and change the mechanical timer with another.
you dont need to change both just swap the boss for a programmable one, and leave the existing timer set to on.

What exactly is the problem with the existing timer ?

do you have a link for this ?

you dont need to change both just swap the boss for a programmable one, and leave the existing timer set to on.

What exactly is the problem with the existing timer ?
Just says it's a programmable eph room thermostat in the quote, theres no link in it

Timer just isnt moving at all i tried a hard reset already. Quote just for replacing just the mechanical timer (without touching the boss) is £50 less than the eph in totality.

Just says it's a programmable eph room thermostat in the quote, theres no link in it
Every day is a school day, never seen an EPH that would replace that on board mechanical timer with an on board programmable room stat, think you may be getting confused and they are actually going to install the EPH receiver outside the boiler, and set the existing to constantly on

ok, so just to confirm. Instead of any wireless soultions, just replacing part for part the mechnical timer will give me greater lonegivty? (on average) Thanks.

ok, so just to confirm. Instead of any wireless soultions, just replacing part for part the mechnical timer will give me greater lonegivty? (on average) Thanks.
yes you can do that, if it was me doing the job I would simply swap the existing Boss for a programmable room stat, you could do it yourself very eay to do

The boss
yes you can do that, if it was me doing the job I would simply swap the existing Boss for a programmable room stat, you could do it yourself very eay to do
but its wired, I'd be scared shietless to deal with electrics as a layman.
The boss is likely over a decade old too, seeing as im too scared to change it myself and that it being replaced with a wireless is only £50 more maybe I should just go with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back