Keeping it square

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have no idea is this is the correct section for this query - it probably isn't but as it involves soldering copper pipe I though I would start here :)

The images show the fram for a copper pipe bar stool I am making. All the other projects I have done have been simpler than this but I have a particular issue with this one which is what is the best way to keep all this square while soldeing?

Should I assemble the whole thing or try to do it in setions?

Any advice or ideas appreciated.

At present it's held upright by the bottom of the legs being inserted into stop end that I have screwed to the wood.
y4p7VFsASeP_gpuNDB0lHzGQ3950C_aZhnrzkOiEM3aDOQjjj6lfuNP1tFNRvPqSsmLK7BqOHwM4_GoA9cSy4u02UkKSltowqiQp-_kyUwxUO4ncPJTy2uTlwByjKIm2BYwYKnnIbybPnwZXHF8K7qRUn1lo4mBG4QPJLBrRUpQkjDYCxBNTgpp-kLuheSAzmrIt8uYOv81cLQvH1N0T8_ib23ZdJ7AuWu52wjK5RjR0C8

20200429_092201.jpg

Sponsored Links
1. No pictures.
2. I'd be very surprised if copper pipe is sufficiently strong to make a bar stool, a full size one anyway.

Hmm, not sure why the pictures are not displaying, it looks ok to me.
They are on my one drive, i will try to find a different way of posting them.

Stool is not very high about 60cm, 22mm pipe with 15mm cross braces.

First one is a prototype anyway. I will try to get the pics posted again.

Sponsored Links
For the benefit of the thread:
upload_2020-4-29_10-25-25.png
upload_2020-4-29_10-25-49.png

To me, those back legs need a lower cross support L>R and F>B or they will easily be bent out of shape.
Soldered joints are not IMO going to be strong enough to provide a strong support.

It may look nice when finished, but not very practical.

Would compression fitting be a better choice?

Also, how dod you get the images to appear? using the insert image bit didn't work for me

Cheers

There are some quite flimsy looking ones available commercially....

cult-living-victoria-metal-bar-stool-solid-elm-wood-copper-75cm-p9635-116621_medium.jpg

You may find that's not copper rather steel that has a copper coating or does it say it's copper?

Not looking to put a damper on your creative skills but copper is stronger in compression, down along it's length but the minute you put any sideways pressure on it, it could buckle and collapse, especially with a person of more generous proportions and they then go to move. The foot rest would probably go pretty quickly too with body weight applied to it.

Not a problem all input is welcome.
I was going for something like these which deffo are 22mm soldered copper at £155 a go..

The supports look better though

copper-bar-stools.jpg

These (if it all works out) are for my daughter.
I made her a shelf out of copper pipe and a reclaimed scaffold plank and now she would like some matching stuff!! 4 stools and a table

2m lengths of 22mm copper tube are also useful for ensuring everyone else complies with social distancing whilst at work :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back