Kerf cuts confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ve been trying to bend 25mm thick skirting board by cutting the back of the skirting board, this has been un successful so far how ever a carpenter has told my wife that the cuts should be put on the front of the board, can any body confirm this or am i being led up the garden path.

cheers paul d.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm not a carpenter but, I'd agree that the cuts should be made on the front because then you can bend it so that the flat sides meet (back). I would imagine this would be correct; especially if it's got decorative architraving too.

Why do you need to bend the skirting board? Surely this would cause it to snap in two leaving a rough and splintered edge.

Hope I've not misunderstood you.

Thanks.

Cut the back then you won't see the cuts, the kerfs will either open up or get closed together.

The spacing is important, there is a formula for working it out but basically the tighter the bend the closer the saw kerfs need to be. Try 25mm spacing (less if you are using a hand saw) and cut so there is only 3mm of the skirting left.

If you are trying to bend MDF skirting it will most likely split.

Jason

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Tozzy - the reason i want to bend the skirting board is so that i can fit it in a bay window.

jason b - i have tried cutting a trial piece of skirting at the back and it did make the skirting board more flexible but i dont no if it will be enough to get the bend i want.
I have to cut a length of about 3 metres so if there was a definate proven method i would try this first.

any way guys once again thanks for the replies

cheers paul d.

Sponsored Links
What sort of of bay window is? :) Is it an angular bay or a semi circular bay? If you are referring to a circular bay, then what about using flexiply (mdf)? :) Otherwise, the joints will have to be mitred. Good luck with this.

Yes I thought of tozzys way, do the flat part of the shirting in flexi ply/mdf or even 4 layers of 6mm MDF then bend the moulding around the top. Will only work for a semi circ bay, don't try it on an angular one.

Jason

@JasonB: Sorry, I forgot you already mentioned MDF. I didn't read your post properly.

@Bosch67: By the way, I was thinking about what the carpenter said to your wife and then I was thinking there is no way the cuts could be made on the front because surely it would spoil the design if there are load of cuts on view :confused: :confused:. No offence to the guy but, if he's wrong then he can't be a very good carpenter or maybe he just got a bit confused as to which sort of window it is. Maybe a semi circular that goes either inwards of outwards. We have one where the window sill goes inwards but, I'm pretty certain I have seen some that go outwards.

Well, speaking of skirting boards, I have to put some on in our bathroom so I hope it's not too difficult :mrgreen:.

Regards.

You could try steaming the wood and then bending it, but only if it i good enough quality.

Yes, but steaming only really works with certain species of hardwood - it doesn't do a thing for softwood, or at least no more than soaking in water would. And to steam stuff you have to build a steam box, get hold of a steam generator and build a bending table - surely a lot of work for a skirting.

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back