Key 'Bumping'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a bit of market research, your help would appreciated.

Do you know what it is?

Are you worried about it?

Would you pay someone to have you 'at risk' locks modified and guaranteed against attack?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Would you pay someone to have you 'at risk' locks modified and guaranteed against attack?

Thanks

no, but i would pay someone to make sure my shotgun is well oiled, my hunting knife is keen-sharp and the family lawyer is paid up-to-date.

yes, no, no

I have better locks that can't be bumped.

:LOL:

With you all the way.

But say £5.00 a lock to guarantee no one can bump it, worth it or not?

Sponsored Links
I doubt very much that many burglaries are done in a Raffles style, but more likely just some druggie chav levering the door or busting a panel

If you are in a house which you think someone may pick the locks, then you will already have good locks

If this is a business enterprise, then yes you will find some naive/gullible people who will think that their locks are at risk from being picked, and will pay for this.

Another yes, no, no from me

I wonder how the 'guarantee' would work though? Would this cover the theft of the whole contents, or compensation for any murder/rape/mutilation done after the 'guaranteed' lock was bumped by the intruder?

Seriously though, such guarantee could not be given.

Not me! The manufacturers of the stuff issue the guarantees, but as you say probably not worth the paper their printed on as with most cr4p in the double glazing industry.

But I will say that any would be burglars only have to look on any search engine to find a very informative video :cry:

Local councils/housing associations do many, many gain entries for various reasons.

I have never seen them use any picking devices. I'd say over 90% of the times they use something through the letter box to tap the yale lock.

When I did some burglary prevention work with the Police, I never came across a bumped lock. And I don't think burglary rates have gone up since the video got loaded on youtube.

But I have been interested in getting a few picks or bump key to help me out in a few cases, and there is a very good lock picking forum that most of the UK pros use. It has some good information - some of it would be alarming if the chances of criminals picking locks wasn't so remote

yes
no
no
any lock can be defeated given time,knowledge tools etc,and if all else fails there always the window that can be smashed to facilitate entry.
the best advice i could give is keep anything valuable out of view,including car keys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back