WMS Key stuck in lock............how can i remove it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I accidentally snapped the key on the front door. I have a spare key, so i would just like to get the other half of the key out of the door, and unfortunately it is still stuck in the door.

It is a WMS key on a lock, and i have no experience with locks, so do not know the first place to start. All i have tried at the moment is trying to push the key out with the spare key, but that didnt work.

I would greatly appreciate any tips that would allow me to avoid calling a locksmith out. (I can insert the other half of the key in from the inside and lock the door, but cannot insert a key from the outside)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am a bit of a rookie when it comes to locks. How can i tell if its a euro profile cylinder? And does the above just mean the shape of the lock, or how it actually operates?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I havent tried getting the lock out yet, so i cannot comment on the bits inbetween, but both ends of it look really similar, so i think it would be safe to assume that it most probably is.

well you could try taking the handles off from the inside, spray some lubricant and gently try to remove the key with some pliers...failing that you would need to renew the lock asp

It is fairly easy to do but the cylinders do come in different sizes so you will need to measure it to make sure you get the right one.

Cheers for your help, will try that asap, and will let you know the results.

I successfully removed the handles as instructed, however i was unable to remove the screw on the lock, which i think was due to the screw getting worn out, and the screwdriver was unable to get a grip on it.

What can i do to fix this? Will a simple hardware store of some sort have an materials that will help get a worn out screw out?

Also, you told me that if i was able to, to remove the key via pliers. Is this under the assumption that part of the key is still sticking out? Or does the euro lock separate in the middle, allowing me to extract the key fragment which is inside (it is not visible from either side of the outsides of the lock).

I hope i made sense above, im frantically trying to find a way to fix this.

Thanks.

Is it worth to purchase a broken key extractor? Or are they a waste of money?

A broken key extractor is a waste of money IMO...buy a new lock you will be able to get the lock out and the screw out without wasting your money on expensive gadgets...a new euro cylinder will be £10ish

I dont really want to tell you exactly how to do this on a public forum...I need to work out how to send private messages...

Jack

If the PM is regarding snapping the Euro, then there is no need to do this. Simply put the unbroken key in the other side of the lock, and using a screwdriver (or similar) orientate the keyway with the broken section in it so that it's vertical - same way up as the unbroken key. Then push the unbroken key all the way in and this should then give you enough of the broken key showing to remove it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back