keylogging threats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys can you pick up a keylogger from clicking on a link someone has posted, say like on this forum. How do key loggers attack your computer and how can you tell if you have a keylogger on your computer thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Never a problem here - thus far...

Have a glance here :- http://dewasoft.com/privacy/kldetector.htm

No idea if 'tis good, bad or indifferent...

But this seemed a reasonable methodology :- '...What exactly does KL-Detector do?
It monitors disk-writes and then reports the written files to you.
It does NOT contain any spyware, adware, or the like. It does NOT phone home...'

-0-

Malicious keyloggers often are installed by other parasites like viruses, trojans, backdoors or even spyware. They get into the system without user knowledge and affect everybody who uses a compromised computer. Such keyloggers do not have any uninstall functions and can be controlled only by their authors or attackers.

They can be removed with some Antispyware programs:

Windows Defender can remove keyloggers.

As can:
Microsoft Security Essentials BUT remember that MSE has an Antivirus program included so you must either shut down or uninstall any other AV software that you have.

You can install WinPatrol 2010 which will warn you if any program or software is trying to start or make changes to your operating system.
It also has a lot of very useful features such as being able to set some programs that are not essential for the initial startup, to 'Delayed start up' to help get Windows up and running faster.

dave

Hello dave m if you have something like macfee or norton protection do they prevent keyloggers attacking your computer ,thankyou both for your answers.

Sponsored Links
if you have something like macfee or norton protection do they prevent keyloggers attacking your computer
In a word, NO.

Most security software has definitions or descriptions of which viruses and spyware are doing the rounds, that is why you should always keep them updated with teh latest definitions.
They can only recognise bad software that they have been told to look out for. As most keyloggers come hidden amongst genuine software that you may have clicked to download, you security programs let it onboard as a genuine piece of software because they assume you should know what you are doing and even doing a quick scan after a download, they won't find it because it will have camoflagued itself in the download.

McAfee and Norton can sometimes remove the keyloggers after it has manifest itself and become active, as would the ones I mentioned in my first post. But it is only something like WinPatrol that will tell you that a keylogger is trying to change something on your computer, usually it tries to get itself onto the startup list so that it runs from when you boot up. Win Patrol monitors that as well as other things, and barks (literally) at you that something is trying to add itself to thh startup list.
That is usually the first indication of something wrong, so it is well worth having the little Scotty dog (WinPatrol Free) on your computer.

dave

MR dave m it is very kind of you to give such good advice, if i download winpatrol will this run alongside with either macfee or norton,once it is downloaded do i need to do anything else thankyou buddy.

Win Patrol will work alongside any security software and on any 32 or 64 bit Windows Operating System.

dave

I use keyscrambler premium you can get a free version for your browser it scrambles all keyboard output so any keyloggers just see undeciferable gibberish.

Keyscrambler

Sponsored Links
Back