Kicker Heater in Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Had a quote for Central Heating, looks like where going to struggle to get a rad in the kitchen, so Plumber mentioned a kicker heater/cooler at the bottom of one of the kitchen units for around £240 quid. Just wondering if this is a good idea to heat the kitchen up and if anyone has had any experience with these kicker heater things????? Or should we go without as our kitchen is quite small?

Thanks

Steve :)

Sponsored Links
The all electric ones are just an expensive fan heater. Borrow a fan heater and try it for a few days and you'll see how it will be. Control is usually manual, they have to be switched on and off as required.

Others are connected to the central heating system for the heat and just have an electric fan. These are better as they work with the programmer with the rest of the heating and probably will be cheaper to run as well. Usually an internal thermostat turns them on when the water from the boiler gets hot and off when it cools.

One advantage with both types is that when you are cooking and the room is getting too hot, they can be switched off and no more heat is added to the room. With a radiator switch it off and it still has to cool.

They are good for a quick warm up, but the hot air blowing on your feet continually can be irritating.

I had a small kitchen with no space for a radiator, but I would leave the door to the hallway open so that it got heat from there in the morning.

I'm sure someone will tell me internal doors should be closed in case of a fire at night, but I wonder what people who have open plan homes do?

Sponsored Links
I looked at these recently to replace one that was out of service in my kitchen (that should say it all). You can buy hydronic heaters on ebay from around £100.
I spoke to my heating engineer and he said they are more trouble than they are worth.

Fit a few lights with GU10 bulbs in them that should heat up your kitchen just fine. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back