kids' school

not bothered at this stage about grading, just want the kids involved... can't commit to too many nights as mrs martian goes to college 2 nights a week tho..

Sponsored Links
Back on course, when I was at school (not long since :LOL: ) (just kidding im 22)

I remember in year 6, our teacher would - every week - hand out a scrap of paper to everyone and read out 20 or 30 multiplications. But it was quick - 2 or 3 second gap - miss one and you'd do terribly for panicing about the one you missed! :LOL: But it did encourage us to recite them in our heads and I did enjoy it when I got them all right. :LOL:

When I started school 55 years ago many of the 5 year olds already had some reading skills from their parents or older siblings. Parents saw ability to read and write as an essential part of life.

Too many of today's parents off load all education to the schools.

Too much of children's ""entertainment"" is TV and does not require reading skills.

Children see learning to read and write as "part of school" and not "part of life" so have little motivation to learn.

Very generalised perhaps but with a wife who is a retired teacher and a daughter just started a teaching career the evidence for the following observation is there.

Many parents do not care enough to spend time and encourage their children in basic reading writing and arithmatic.

There does seem to be an awful lot of pressure on kids these days, not just schoolwork, but also extra curricular activities, ours like many others are constantly on the go. During term time we both read to them, it is important for fathers to read to their sons, as it reinforces that reading can be fun for boys as well. We also have got them a brain train thingy, but like others I'm not too keen on consoles. We also try to push them a little further than the school does. However during the holidays, we deliberately do nothing on the academic front, as I believe that this gives them a necessary break.

Sponsored Links
It beats me how kids can get a proper education when (in some cases) over half the pupils in the class don't even speak English.

However during the holidays, we deliberately do nothing on the academic front, as I believe that this gives them a necessary break.

Ours were encouraged to work out directions when travelling and other ways to help mum and dad on holiday.

My mum did the same when we travelled across London, getting me to work out which route, tube lines and which platform etc. All proving how useful reading was.

Sponsored Links
Back