My Girls School

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've started a new thread so as keep on subjec, as this has nothing to do with RAAC.
Nothing of the sort.
The government know far more than you; they consult with shedloads of advisers (internal, industry, unions, lobby groups).

The misconception that you are operating under, @bod , is that the government make decisions based on the information in front of them.

My experience; the gov. decide what they want to do, go through a charade of a consultation process, then do what they want anyway.

(A senior adviser once told a friend and colleague of mine - on another built-environment policy decision, admittedly - "we have a duty to consult; we do not have a duty to take any notice")

The government know far more than you do: that is how they are able to spin their (pre-formed) decision.
A lot of thought and expense goes into stuff like "kicking the can down the road".

We got told two weeks ago that our girls school had structural Issues.

We had 3 meetings with the school and the school governors along with a few labour councillors.

We where told that the government had two surveys.
The first survey coming back that the buildings where safe for teachers and staff to attend school as normal as its was all safe to do so.

For what ever reason they paid for a second survey that advised for the immediate closure of the school.

That is what the Government advised for the governing school body to do.

Advise taken.

My youngest is now going to another school across town and my eldest will be taught in a marquee.
All for the time being.
Yet too see if this is the right way to go forward.
We all want the best for Our children so we will all muck in together.

Sponsored Links
UK RAAC panel manufacture stopped in the early eighties due to structural and lifespan concerns.

Waiting until two weeks ago to close a school is scandalous.

Bang on

We used to jump out of our school and go to the park and munch our doritos..literally everyday

and i still aced all my subjects..

Sponsored Links
UK RAAC panel manufacture stopped in the early eighties due to structural and lifespan concerns.

Waiting until two weeks ago to close a school is scandalous.
It's got nothing to do with RAAC

My secondary school was built in 1965 and by the time I started there in 2001 it had all sorts of issues. The flat roofs leaked all the time, some of the windows were hanging on to dear life (one actually fell off its hinges from the second floor), the paint was peeling on all facades, etc., etc. I vaguely remember blown concrete posts as well, so I guess the steel inside was corroding.

Left there in 2006 to go onto Sixth Form and a new school was built shortly after. The experience there could be a bit 'rough' at times, but there were a good number of teachers old and new who managed to command a decent amount of respect. The delinquents had dropped out by the time we were 14 or so and by the end the yearly results were very respectable. I don't think the state of the building ever really had an impact.

Before that (at Primary School), we were taught in 'temporary buildings' which had been erected in the late 1970s (I started in 1995) following a fire. Those were best described as 'tatty' when we were there (they looked like cabins and were on stilts). One still remains but it's had double glazing. Again, quite a well-respected school now.

Growing up in UK schools seems to involve being taught in tatty old buildings it seems!

My secondary school was built in 1965 and by the time I started there in 2001 it had all sorts of issues. The flat roofs leaked all the time, some of the windows were hanging on to dear life (one actually fell off its hinges from the second floor), the paint was peeling on all facades, etc., etc. I vaguely remember blown concrete posts as well, so I guess the steel inside was corroding.

Left there in 2006 to go onto Sixth Form and a new school was built shortly after. The experience there could be a bit 'rough' at times, but there were a good number of teachers old and new who managed to command a decent amount of respect. The delinquents had dropped out by the time we were 14 or so and by the end the yearly results were very respectable. I don't think the state of the building ever really had an impact.

Before that (at Primary School), we were taught in 'temporary buildings' which had been erected in the late 1970s (I started in 1995) following a fire. Those were best described as 'tatty' when we were there (they looked like cabins and were on stilts). One still remains but it's had double glazing. Again, quite a well-respected school now.

Growing up in UK schools seems to involve being taught in tatty old buildings it seems!

So my girls school is state of the art modern purpose built building. It now has to come down and its bearly 4 years old , if that.
Shocking
Talk to Roy and he thinks we haven't got a problem with the building industry and that it's all the government's fault.
I beg to differ I say its Rotten from top to bottom.

Oh and the government haven't a clue about the building industry either so they do need to shoulder some of the blame.

So my girls school is state of the art modern purpose built building. It now has to come down and its bearly 4 years old , if that.
Shocking
Talk to Roy and he thinks we haven't got a problem with the building industry and that it's all the government's fault.
I beg to differ I say its Rotten from top to bottom.

Oh and the government haven't a clue about the building industry either so they do need to shoulder some of the blame.

decades of weakening building regulations

decades of weakening building regulations

It's said that the old school (Educating Essex) was knocked down and buried on the grounds, hence why there are structural problems. This includes Asbestos I'm told.

weakening building regulations

You say

I went to three schools, whilst growing up. The first one a purpose built Victorian building, I remember we often had to sit on the worn timber floor in the hall, and it was in such poor condition we would end up with splinter in our backsides. My second was also a purpose built Victorian building, though we spent one of the years there, in a concrete prefab building, heated by a coke burner stove in the corner. Teaching facilities were dire, mostly very old books and equipment, what little there was.

I spent my final years at a brand new school, all brand new books, and very well equipped labs etc..

The new school was demolished 20 years ago, my first school is still there, converted to office buildings, my second school is still a school, but now a primary school.

I don't think RAAC was used in the foundations.

You'll miss my sarcastic comments, won't you?

The old school had a flat roof, and built in the 60's. Maybe this is the answer Roy. Nail on head.

Good news, the education minister has said the majority of schools aren't affected by raac. So we can ignore those that are, on an I'm alright jack basis. Sounds like brexhit, though to be fair keegan voted remain. Hope your daughters school is sorted in the not too distant future bod.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Back