school bus services

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For clarity, I'm talking here about the bus services the schools arrange for kids who live more than a mile from the school. They run set routes, only for the kids of one school. The local comprehensive has about 6-8 double deckers worth of such services (1300+ kids - clearly not all on buses)

Now think about America. They have shiny school buses, with additional safety features, padded seats with belts (safety), relatively new, tannoys, and specific road rules governing them (they get priority, you cannot pass them etc).

I am aware there are several similar buses going in west yorkshire, but this is an exception (and only about 5 were ever bought back in 2000 iirc).

In the most part, this is what I see around Doncaster:

20+ year old huge double deckers (the ones with two rear axles - 4 wheels each side on the back), painted (looks like 1coat gloss badly applied) an awful shade of green with no operator logo on them. Crammed to the top deck roof with kids. The original bench seats with no belts. Very noisy (even inside) and polluting (probably inside too). I have been behind them, and actually noticed a distinctive slant on them.

When I was at this school, Yorkshire Traction provided the bus service for the school. Bus they were always sending threatening letters to the parents saying they will have to withdraw service if the level of misbehaviour continues. Clearly this has happened (and YT are now Stagecoach), and the school has sourced some other company to provide transport, who use even worse buses than YT used to use (and they were sheds back then!).

Why do we provide kids with such substandard transport? Perhaps if some investment was shown to them, they wouldn't be so rowdy and misbehave? Then again, kids will always vandalise shiny things these days. Can we win? The Americans seem to have got it right. :idea:

Sponsored Links
Why do we provide kids with such substandard transport? Perhaps if some investment was shown to them, they wouldn't be so rowdy and misbehave? Then again, kids will always vandalise shiny things these days. Can we win? The Americans seem to have got it right.

generally I consider you as young and niave, yet on this occaision you make a point close to my heart.

Im married to an american, on visiting there I have seen this bus service in operation.

they pick every kid up, or an excuse as to why not. :evil:
they have a system where the bus puts out a flag, no one is allowed to pass that bus in either direction till the flag is lowered.

it should be in this country :idea:

The iconic yellow bus

There are a lot of things I take for granted. It never occurred to me that you wouldnt have school buses there.

And you're darned right, you better stop. Passing a school bus rates right up there with tailgating a police car...big NO NO

Why do we provide kids with such substandard transport? Perhaps if some investment was shown to them, they wouldn't be so rowdy and misbehave? Then again, kids will always vandalise shiny things these days. Can we win? The Americans seem to have got it right. :idea:

its called competative tendering where its based on quality and value for money
guess which one wins as "best value for money" :cry: :cry: :cry:

Sponsored Links
why do we do it sub-standard? same reason we do everything like it. we want it all but dont want to pay for it.

why do we do it sub-standard? same reason we do everything like it. we want it all but dont want to pay for it.

what does it matter how much it costs?

consider the cost of truancy, vandalism, drugs etc etc.....

get these feral spawn off the the streets, and back where they should be, plus it would deliver a social check on a daily basis, unmasking subliminal abuse :idea:

The system you describe Steve would be great. The buses you talk about only carry children to and from school. Our kids have to use a public service bus that is full of granny's going to town in the morning and has had drunks coming back on it in the afternoon. Presumably after they have collected their gyro's. I did question the school about this but apparently the free bus service they provide does not have to be a dedicated service bus. :eek:

I did question the school about this but apparently the free bus service they provide does not have to be a dedicated service bus. :eek:
No, it doesn't. And AFAIK, the kids at the school in my OP have to pay for this bus service anyway. :eek:

The system you describe Steve would be great. Presumably after they have collected their gyro's. . :eek:
You need a GYROscope for stability if you`re a **** Artist :LOL: . Me, I get a GIRO once a fortnight ;)

Why do we provide kids with such substandard transport? Perhaps if some investment was shown to them, they wouldn't be so rowdy and misbehave? Then again, kids will always vandalise shiny things these days. Can we win? The Americans seem to have got it right.

generally I consider you as young and niave, yet on this occaision you make a point close to my heart.

Im married to an american, on visiting there I have seen this bus service in operation.

they pick every kid up, or an excuse as to why not. :evil:
they have a system where the bus puts out a flag, no one is allowed to pass that bus in either direction till the flag is lowered.

it should be in this country :idea:

not to mention the 15 mph speed limit when the amber lights are flashing in the drop off zones ;)

totally agree it should be

you don't see the roads outside of schools jammed with cars either

:D

what does it matter how much it costs?

consider the cost of truancy, vandalism, drugs etc etc.....

get these feral spawn off the the streets, and back where they should be, plus it would deliver a social check on a daily basis, unmasking subliminal abuse :idea:

wdik,

you get me wrong. i think it is an absolutley fantastic system. Unfortunatley many people in this country want everything to be like that but arent prepared to pay the extra money in their tax etc. Thats why we end up with what we get.

yeah but to be fair thermo america got it right

you go to chicago of newark or any of the international airports

you get the air train between terminals every 2 mins

go to heathrow you get a bus when they feel like it

lack of forward planning

in england just tag it on and on

they just flatten the lot and start again

i know which system i like ;)

Sponsored Links
Back