School Bus Stopping Outside House. Kids entering driveway and came up to window. Scratched car.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a group of kids who get picked up outside our house. Early teenage years.
Every morning they're on our drive chasing each other round the car which has been scratched. I didn't see who did it and I don't have CCTV. I just heard the "owwwww and gigling and you scratched it no you did."

They have previously damaged the fence by kicking it for no reason I can see other than boredom waiting for the bus: Despite me asking them nicely they won't stop leaning or hanging on it. I'm concerned they might get hurt but I can't fork out for repairs if they're going to do the same again. There's no signage or written designation of the bus stop being there. It makes me very anxious to go and ask them to stop and move back onto the pavement. Literally getting heart palpitations. As we're on a sloped drive gates wouldn't work very well and would be a pain for access.

I've just called the council and they informed me the registered stop is on the next street where public buses also pick up and drop off.

I've called the school who said they'd have a word with the kids. If they stay off the property I can live with it. But if not I will pursue the issue of the wrong drop off point being used. The council advised me to call the police but I already anticipate a backlash from parents if the stop gets moved. I would like the problem to stop and then i'll put the damage right myself. The scratch will probably buff out and the fence isn't new. It is just kids being kids but they're not considering the impact of their actions. Beyond asking them to stop it which I've already done on two occasions there's nothing I can do. I have to let the relevant people deal with it from here if it continues.

Sponsored Links
You could ring the busco and ask if they realise they are dropping off on the wrong road. See what they say.

Keep pestering the school until they claim nothing to do with us as it is outside school hours. Pester the bus company to use the correct pick up point. Pester the kids by waiting on your drive for them. Pester the police about anti social behaviour of that schools pupils. Go to the local press complaing nobody will take action against these little horrors.

Eventually somebody may do something and then you can get back to enjoying a peaceful life. Good luck.

park outside your house and the bus will have to move.
Or leave your wheelie bin blocking access to your drive.

Sponsored Links
As we're on a sloped drive gates wouldn't work very well and would be a pain for access.

A visible barrier would help. Even a rope or chain. How wide is the opening?

Some plant pots containing thorny or prickly plants might inconvenience them.

As we're on a sloped drive gates wouldn't work very well and would be a pain for access.

I also have a sloped drive, it slopes down to the road about 1 in 10 yet I have gates which close level to the drive and I use them all the time. The trick, which I had to teach the company who I had manufacture the gates, was offset the hinge pivot point, between the top and the bottom hinges. Each of my two 6 foot wide gates, has to rise as they open in, by around 7" once open. The bottom hinge pivot is horizontally offset, up the drive, when closed, with regards to the top hinge, by around 2". When fully open, it means the top of the two gates lean back by around the 2", but they are perfectly vertical when closed.

I'm going to be even more unpopular then. The neighbours are very keen for the bus to remain to be picked up outside my drive. They can't see my problem at all.

I've been having issues this last few months on and off with anti social kids, kicking gates/doors and throwing things at houses on the street.

Hadn't got a camera, but have now, and have to say it's great, only a cheapo, I have it at the window, means it just plugs in at the wall, quick to set-up, buy a microSD card to record onto and you may get footage that helps you stop this, should you have to take it further.

Tapo camera - £21
MicroSD Card - £8

As others suggest, I'd call the bus company and see what's what.

A chain is a good idea, especially this type of thing, so they can't sit on it with hook or small padlock (yes might be a faff for you initially locking/unlocking etc.

Spikey Chain

Sod the neighbours, as you have to endure this, not them.

Tell the neighbours to allow it to stop outside their drive then.
Your best course of action is to contact the bus company though. If the driver is stopping at an unauthorised stop, and letting people off/on, then he is breaking a fundamental rule of only allowing people to board and disembark at official designated stops, (which must have signage).

There's definitely no signage. Is this required for school buses?

I'm going to be even more unpopular then. The neighbours are very keen for the bus to remain to be picked up outside my drive. They can't see my problem at all.
Course they can't.

But they'll sure as hell see the issue if the bus stopped outside their house and the kids kicked their fence in and ran amok on their driveway, scratching their car.

Call the bus company and tell them that if they stop again outside your house you'll video them and report to their insurance.
They'll comply immediately because if one of the cherubs gets injured for whatever reason while waiting/boarding the bus, they'd be in trouble.

Get one of those PIR car scarers that attaches to the end of your garden hose, that'll teach them :evil:

So the bus companies say there's no need for signage. They say they don't need a registered drop off point for school runs. Their insurers don't need to be aware of where the pick up and drop off is occurring.

Sponsored Links
Back