School Bus Stopping Outside House. Kids entering driveway and came up to window. Scratched car.

Sponsored Links
So the bus companies say there's no need for signage. They say they don't need a registered drop off point for school runs. Their insurers don't need to be aware of where the pick up and drop off is occurring.
So, basically, a school bus can stop and go anywhere the hell it likes.

So the bus companies say there's no need for signage. They say they don't need a registered drop off point for school runs. Their insurers don't need to be aware of where the pick up and drop off is occurring.
Sounds like you have spoken to them.
You said they have a dedicated space to pick up and drop off.
At this point I would contact their insurance company and let them know they're using a dangerous area for their service, not the dedicated stop.
They'll ask you why it is dangerous and you need to give them reasons: narrow pavement, dropped kerb making step to the bus too high, road partially blocked, etc.
Ask them to record the call as soon as they answer and also record it yourself; you don't need to inform them you're recording.

Just as a side point: I pictured in my mind your drive with a dropped kerb and it sounds like the bus is stopping there temporarily blocking your exit, correct?
If that's the case, as you know the time they come, park your car there, possibly leaving a good few inches from the kerb.
After a few days they should get the message and go somewhere else.
Or, be a total prat and put cones there.
We used to do that before they restricted access to our road and parents picking up kids from the school would block every drive.

As Johnny say, just go straight to the bus company's insurance company.

Tell them you've put up cctv and, if any damage is caused to your property, you'll be claiming against them

Sponsored Links
Tell the neighbours to allow it to stop outside their drive then.
Your best course of action is to contact the bus company though. If the driver is stopping at an unauthorised stop, and letting people off/on, then he is breaking a fundamental rule of only allowing people to board and disembark at official designated stops, (which must have signage).

Sounds like you have spoken to them.
You said they have a dedicated space to pick up and drop off.
At this point I would contact their insurance company and let them know they're using a dangerous area for their service, not the dedicated stop.
They'll ask you why it is dangerous and you need to give them reasons: narrow pavement, dropped kerb making step to the bus too high, road partially blocked, etc.
Ask them to record the call as soon as they answer and also record it yourself; you don't need to inform them you're recording.

Just as a side point: I pictured in my mind your drive with a dropped kerb and it sounds like the bus is stopping there temporarily blocking your exit, correct?
If that's the case, as you know the time they come, park your car there, possibly leaving a good few inches from the kerb.
After a few days they should get the message and go somewhere else.
Or, be a total prat and put cones there.
We used to do that before they restricted access to our road and parents picking up kids from the school would block every drive.

It does block access when my wife leaves for work. We have cars parked steeply which they touch and run around. If the handbrakes were to fail it could lead to serious harm for the kids running around them and pushing on them.
I'm actually considering CCTV.

I would catch the driver and explain the consequences of his stopping there.

Then talk to the bus company.

I've been having issues this last few months on and off with anti social kids, kicking gates/doors and throwing things at houses on the street.

Hadn't got a camera, but have now, and have to say it's great, only a cheapo, I have it at the window, means it just plugs in at the wall, quick to set-up, buy a microSD card to record onto and you may get footage that helps you stop this, should you have to take it further.

Tapo camera - £21
MicroSD Card - £8

As others suggest, I'd call the bus company and see what's what.

A chain is a good idea, especially this type of thing, so they can't sit on it with hook or small padlock (yes might be a faff for you initially locking/unlocking etc.

Spikey Chain

Sod the neighbours, as you have to endure this, not them.
Is the Tapo decent at night too? Can you see any issue with this being placed in my ground level bungalow. Does it have an app you can watch remotely? Is a subscription needed?

You're going in the wrong direction arguing/pleading with the bus operator. They do not need a dedicated stop and you don't own the pavement outside your house. Is it double yellows, parking restrictions etc? If not then park a car there. You only have to do it long enough for the bus to establish a new stop and then you are done.

A pic of your driveway and the path/road either side would help determine exactly what you're up against.

Regardless of the stuff going on with the bus company, school or neighbours, my priority would be getting some sort of barrier across the entrance to the drive.

Unfortunately I think the cctv may not be a feasible option.

Have a look at this website. It seems a bit contradictory to me, but you may do it if you comply with their advice.

It does block access when my wife leaves for work. We have cars parked steeply which they touch and run around. If the handbrakes were to fail it could lead to serious harm for the kids running around them and pushing on them.
I'm actually considering CCTV.

A rope, or better a chain (as mentioned) will serve as a temporary barrier. Maybe add a sign hanging from it 'KEEP OUT'?

Unfortunately I think the cctv may not be a feasible option.

Have a look at this website. It seems a bit contradictory to me, but you may do it if you comply with their advice.

I really wouldn't worry about any of that, there are lots of cameras about, and lots of them mobile. There are no cars driving about, warning that they have onboard cameras. I have car cameras running constantly, when on the move, and have had home cameras for decades, as is obvious to neighbours, I have even been asked by the police if my camera has recorded incidents.

it is slightly different. The issue occurs when you record someone on their private property. As long as its set to record when someone comes on to your property and is broadly pointing in a direction it would need to, to meet its purpose, you wont have a problem.

Sponsored Links
Back