Rubbish buses rant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone been on the new bendi-buses in London? They're rubbish.

I took one from King's Cross to Park Lane yesterday, the poor driver had a real job manoeuvring the bu**er (the signs on the back reckon they are longer than 18 metres), and I made the mistake of standing in the bendy bit so my feet were in the front of the bus whilst I was holding onto a handle in the back bit of the bus!

And it would have been so easy to not pay, because you are meant to buy your ticket before you get on, and no-one was checking. Great, free buses!

I could understand it if they had to get under low bridges, but seeing as they are running along the same routes as the double-deckers, that obviously isn't the case. I lived in the West End for years and I have never seen a bridge over a road (well, Hammersmith flyover perhaps). And they are hardly about easing congestion, because they take up 50% more road space than a double-decker, and as far as I could see carried no more (possibly less) passengers.

So, my question is, who decided these were a good idea? Might I suggest Londoners and tourists alike form an orderly queue to kick them square in the nuts? Why can't we just have some new double-deckers?

Sponsored Links
Buses, yeah, I remember them. Big things, sometimes red, need to buy a ticket etc... Correct ? Oh the nostalgia. :LOL:

You forgot "slightly smaller than a Toyota Landcruiser" ;)

Funny, 'cos they axed the bus service around here a few years ago, went down to 2 buses a week (2 a week ! how useless it that!) Anyhow, surprise surprise, no-one used them so we've now lost those as well. Unbelieveably when we had the 2 buses a week service they were double deckers ! What a waste of time.

WRT London buses, I don't know if you've seen those new Hydrogen Zero emission fuel buses, but their braking systems let off a really loud hiss which always makes me jump out of my skin. I must confess I can't remember the last time I used a bus. Wasn't good old Maggie that said something along the lines of if a man always has to use a bus, he is a failure (no aspersions cast :D) :eek:

Sponsored Links
Ah, but if a man uses a bus on a Saturday night, it means he can drink! ;)

AdamW said:
Ah, but if a man uses a bus on a Saturday night, it means he can drink! ;)

Indeed , one of the rather shameful failings around here, appalling amount of drink driving. Not me though, I've found a canny way out of that, my wife doesn't drink :D

Last time I used a bus I felt a complete idiot. I got in the middle of a queue of people that all strolled on just giving a quick flash of thier passes or whatever. So it comes to my turn and the conversation goes as follows
"A single to Romford please".
"What do you mean?"
"Well, I want to go to Romford, do you go there?"
"Yes"
"So can I buy a single ticket to Romford"
"No, you just pay for a ticket"
"That's what I want, a ticket to go to Romford"
"We don't do tickets for Romford, Just Tickets!"
"Can I use one of those tickets to go to Romford then"
"Yes, but it's the same price as every other ticket we issue"
"OK, I'll have one ticket please"
"Thanks that'll be 70 pence"
I then hand him a £5 note
"Sorry, I can't change that"
"So what do I do?"
"You'll have to get some change and get on the next bus"
"OK, I don't want to wait for the next bus, so Just keep the change"
"Sorry, I can't do that, I'd have to explain why my cash box is wrong at the end of the day"
I then turn to the queue behind me and ask
"Anyone want to buy a £5 note for 70 pence"
"Just fck off mate, and let us get on the fcking bus"
"OK then, give me seven tickets to Romford and keep the 10 pence change"
"Are you taking the p*ss. "
"No, I just want to go to Romford"
"What makes you think that I'll want a 10 pence tip. Do I look like charity case?"
"**** you as well mate, There's a fiver, what you do with it is up to you. if you're not happy call the old bill and get me chucked off"
"You can't sit there mate, it's reserved for old people or people with shopping."
I finally sit on another empty seat and get evil looks all the way to Romford.

That's Last time I use that service. :evil:
Fortunately my wife doesn't drink either :D

Adam mate - no luck for you - first your PC goes ZZZZZZZPPPPPP!, then your motor goes t*ts up..... bad week for Adam???!! :LOL:

securespark said:
Adam mate - no luck for you - first your PC goes ZZZZZZZPPPPPP!, then your motor goes t*ts up..... bad week for Adam???!! :LOL:

The motor's fine, but it wouldn't have been if I drove it on Saturday night! Binge drinking culture? Wasn't anything cultural about it! ;)

Eddie, I have been told (by middle-aged people) that middle-aged people are the worst drink-driving offenders. Not saying you are middle-aged you understand, but I would imagine that there are a lot of people in that age bracket round your way! I suppose the difference between 18 year old drink drivers and 48 year old drink drivers is that the 48-year old is less likely to be driving down the road with 8 people in a Corsa, 5 of which are hanging out of the windows and singing! Hence they are somewhat less conspicuous.

Tex, wish I had been stuck behind you there, £4.30 for doing nothing? Great! :LOL:

AdamW said:
Eddie, I have been told (by middle-aged people) that middle-aged people are the worst drink-driving offenders. Not saying you are middle-aged you understand, but I would imagine that there are a lot of people in that age bracket round your way! I suppose the difference between 18 year old drink drivers and 48 year old drink drivers is that the 48-year old is less likely to be driving down the road with 8 people in a Corsa, 5 of which are hanging out of the windows and singing! Hence they are somewhat less conspicuous.

I think that's true, usual nonsense... I've been driving for 20 years rubbish. Plus you're right I think middle aged (thank you ;)) drivers do draw less attention to themselves. Doesn't make it any more acceptable though. I suppose I'm also quite lucky in that we have 2 pubs in our village, both an easy walk, but many of the really small villages round here have no such "facilities". Taxi's are extortionately expensive around here, 'cos they always charge double as there is no prospect of a return fare.

But then again, we had our chance, was a case of use it or lose it.... we lost it. When we first moved here, the demographics were much more imbalanced, but in the last few years, a few "younger" (<80 years) have moved in :!: You're right though it is pretty much for the middle aged. For instance there are no flats or appartments here, I think the bottom rung is probably way beyond most first time buyers budget. Something which I think is not good, as it enforces communities to break up, as the youngsters cannot afford to stay in the area. On saying that though there is absolutely bu88er all to do round here :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back