'kin' pc....!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My second drive failed on my pc last week. The other one failed just before it and I did...nada. Heyho, managed to get it to run via Windows repair just the once, which was sufficient for me to get all my important data off to a remote drive on another networked pc running Vista (this one is XP SP3).

Am now up and running with a new HD and reinstalling all my data. However, on trying to network to the remote drive on the other machine and despite setting sharing and giving it all the permissions, it kept telling me I had no access rights. After two hours of messing around with that, I gave up and moved the drive onto this pc and started to move stuff over.

However, this pc has been freezing with monotonous regularity, although if I move the files over in small batches it seems to cope with it, but not always. Why is it doing this? There seems to be no set file size that results in a freeze (no warning, it just stops. Dead.), so am totally baffled.

This pc has a AMD 64X2 DCP 4800+, 2.42GHz speed and 3.25GB RAM, so I wouldn't think that that would be causing it to struggle. Remote drive is connected via a USB2 connection directly to the pc not via a hub.

Any ideas, as the casing's getting a few dents in it now...and my foot is sore!

Sponsored Links
Is your case well ventilated? Do you have fans extracting air out (not including PSU fan) Are all your drives installed all bunched up together? Heat is a major drive killer.

Loose cables? Crappy PSU?

Impossible to say for sure, tbh. :(

Yeh, I've given it a good blow through to clear the dust and it's not running too hot, according to the reading on boot. Interestingly, since posting, it's only frozen when Norton Ghost was trying to back up to the remote drive.

All plugs are as tight as a nun's chuff as far as I can see. I looked on the event manager, but the stuff on there meant nothing to me!

I looked on the event manager, but the stuff on there meant nothing to me!

It's the little yellow exclamation marks you've gotta watch for, otherwise Dev Manager won't tell you that much regarding this problem.

Are you using an up to date version of Ghost? If not it might be conflicting with Vista somehow.

Too many variables here really, Ghost, Vista, XP, Network drive etc... I try to keep backups simple, manually dump to an external hard drive, then copy back off of it onto next machine.

Sponsored Links
I would agree with Deluks, most likely (as it is a bit vague) that its due to an overheating issue, have you run diagnostic utils on your system to check core temps etc during windows session? (maybe try adding additional internal fans to aid airflow)

Other issues could be, conflicts with in the resource allocations, virus' or malware, driver issues or maybe even just some corruption on the hdd's or just Vista (but youd usually get some feedback on this from OS).

If your using Vista why not use its backup facility?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/features/details/backup.mspx

Back